The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Where do I start?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Where do I start?

by Mark S » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Hard to figure out which to post on first, but I need to get these down and searchable(!)

Slyvain Pataille, Marsannay, 'Clos du Roy', 2007
All that talk of 2007 (red) Burgundy shutting down seems to have affected this wine. This has definitely firmed up since the last bottle I had, about 2 years ago, this time showing more mineral and structured. Crunchy red fruits and spice, bit of orange zest, but the palate drops off on the finish. B+, perhaps A- later? 13%

Occhipinti, Sicilia IGT, 'SP68', 2011 (bianco)
I've seen a lot of love for this wine in various forum, and I like what Arianna is doing with this estate, so I wanted to love it a little more than I did. It's a very nice wine, with kiwi and honeycomb and a fragrant nose full of sweet flowers. It ends with a dull metallic finish that I associate with a Southern Rhone marsanne or grenache blanc. A good bistro wine, fun, but not something to lay down and spin hopes for. B+

Boscarelli, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, 2006
Coconut and cherries on the dense nose. Plenty of oak on this sweetly fruited wine, a bit more than medium-bodied but it seems to have the stuffing needed to integrate. Deep and dark fruited, lots of chocolate. Still young, I would put this away for another 5 years if I had another bottle. Sadly, I don't. Not normally a style of sangio I would like, but it is so well made that I really can't complain. 14% A-

Alain Voge, Cornas, 'vielle viegnes', 2007
An herbal, salty plum nose. Medium-bodied, salty plum, not a lot of complexity. This is good, but for drinking (relatively) soon. B+
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Where do I start?

by Dale Williams » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Mark S wrote:Slyvain Pataille, Marsannay, 'Clos du Roy', 2007

Slyvain and the family Pataille, funky! :)

I've seen a lot of love for this wine in various forum, and I like what Arianna is doing with this estate, so I wanted to love it a little more than I did. It's a very nice wine, with kiwi and honeycomb and a fragrant nose full of sweet flowers. It ends with a dull metallic finish that I associate with a Southern Rhone marsanne or grenache blanc. A good bistro wine, fun, but not something to lay down and spin hopes for. B+

I like the SP68 red a bit more than the white, but like both, but have never really thought of cellaring

An herbal, salty plum nose. Medium-bodied, salty plum, not a lot of complexity. This is good, but for drinking (relatively) soon. B+

Voge used to make ageable stuff, style change or vintage?
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: Where do I start?

by Mark S » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Mark S wrote:Slyvain Pataille, Marsannay, 'Clos du Roy', 2007

Slyvain and the family Pataille, funky! :)

I like the SP68 red a bit more than the white, but like both, but have never really thought of cellaring

Good to know about the SP68's. Her other wines I've aged for 4 years or so and been happy with the results.

Voge used to make ageable stuff, style change or vintage?

I think maybe a little bit of both? 2007's almost across the Rhone- north and south- seem to be pretty open. This bottle surprised me in how accessible it was. I remember some Voge wines from the late '80's that seemed to contain more tannins and were more rustic. This was not modern, but a friend who I shared this with who drinks mostly New World syrahs liked it, I was afraid it was too herbal for him.