The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Obit: Gino Corti

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Obit: Gino Corti

by TomHill » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:52 pm

Stumbled across this in today's SacBee.

I remember the first time I visited CortiBros store out on FreeportBlvd, the small one afore they expanded. As I was waiting for Darrell to arrive, I was admiring the meat case and the salamis and cheeses and such and struck up a conservation with this affable guy behind the counter. He started offering me tastes of various things and telling me all about them. First time I'd ever tasted the great Pelosui Teleme. Finally I went downstairs to the wine dept and started browsing around until Darrell finally showed up. As we were chatting, I mentioned that the "butcher" upstairs was really a neat guy. "Ohhh, that's my Uncle Gino" Darrell responded with a laugh. He'd done see'd it before.
I was talking to Darrell Saturday (ordering some old Harbor Mission Del Sol) and asked about his family..."they're fine".
Gino died that next morning.
Sad...but Gino leaves behind a great legacy....and some good memories.
Tom

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/81195.html
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Obit: Gino Corti

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:58 pm

Sorry to hear that. Sacramento would be a very different place for food and wine enthusiasts had he and his brother chosen to live somewhere else.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child