The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: deliciousness

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: deliciousness

by Mark S » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:28 pm

A slew of recent deliciousness almost paves the way for spring, but not quite.
Ronco Severo, Colli Orientali del Friuli, Schioppettino, 2007
Schioppettino can be really refreshing, like that shot fired across the bow, it has red-fruitedness (redcurrants, pomegranate) and a bitter floral note, bitter root medicine on the finish. Leafy, medium-bodied, and a little simple, but refreshing as all get up, with an acidic cut and a tanic upper lip. B+ 13.5%

Alfredo Maestro, Castilla y Leon, 'Vina Almate', 2011
I recently just bought this and never really heard of Maestro before, but I'm paying attention now. This is the simpler (and cheaper, I think upper teens) bottling of his lineup. Deeply colored black cherry, full of brooding dark fruits, black cherry and black plums. Very juicy, a little flatish, almost like a mencia but this is tempranillo. Some talc on the finish. Rather simple, but flat out fun. Improve your pizza night! 14.5% A-

Domaine des Roches Neuves (Thierry Germain), Samur Campigny, 2011
Another bottle that won't win on complexity, but is simply a lovely bottle to drink. Pure crunchy red fruits, leafy tobacco, and a chalk-like finish. Just delish. Brings the 'fun' back into wine. A-/B+

Ar.Pe.Pe., Rosso di Valtellina, 2009
Wine the color of electric watermelon juice: pretty! Dusty cherries on an orchard tree, fresh spearmint and fresh ripe strawberries. Very light, but then clamps down a fiercely with stones and tannins. Very good and refreshing, epitomizing what Alpine wine should be. A-
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: WTN: deliciousness

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Ar Pe Pe wines are fabulous, thanks for the note
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines