The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2011 Selbach Saar Riesling Spätlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2011 Selbach Saar Riesling Spätlese

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:42 am

2011 Selbach Saar Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/24/2013)
The more time goes by the more this wine sheds a layer of fat, and shows some underlying structure and tightens up on the finish. Lots of lime and leafy elements dominarte on the nose and palate, emphasizing that this is a Saar wine. It's rich, but balanced, and quietly drinkable. Before you know it the glass is empty. Great value for about $15. (88 pts.)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: 2011 Selbach Saar Riesling Spätlese

by Bill Spohn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Just a question on when to try this sort of wine, David.

Do you usually open a Spatlese at this young age? If so, is it just for assessment purposes or do you like drinking them that young?

I have some 2007 and 2006 Spatlese I haven't even thought of broaching yet, although it is probably time to assess a bottle. Just curious as I know many people drink German wines with little or no aging.

BTW, you'd appreciate this - was rustling through the cellar last weekend and found a bottle of 1976 Beerenauslese I'd forgotten I had! Now to find a time to open it!

Guess I could open it when Jenise beats me at bocce, but I fear it might go over the hill before that happens.... :twisted:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:46 pm

Bill,

I generally open spätlese very young or after 10+ years. This particular wine is also very inexpensive, so I am planning to open most (but not all) of them young.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Guess I could open it when Jenise beats me at bocce, but I fear it might go over the hill before that happens.... :twisted:

Wait til you play on my court, little Billy!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:50 am

David M. Bueker wrote: generally open spätlese very young or after 10+ years. This particular wine is also very inexpensive, so I am planning to open most (but not all) of them young.

That's my usual strategy as well. I'm pretty much ignoring 2005s and 2006s these days, and I think most 2008s and 2009s seem to have shut down a bit. 2007s I've actually had some that seem fairly open.