The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

I did it again !!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

I did it again !!!

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:23 pm

This is the fourth time I have done this interesting transformation and by far the most rewarding. Seems as though about 18 months ago I opened a '95 Lindemans Bin 45 SE Aus. Cabernet Sauvignon. It was terrible, I wouldn't even use it to clean my tires. But out of frustration (I don't even know what I was doing with this bottle in the first place) I recorked the wine and put it back in my kitchen rack (the least temperature controlled of my storage areas). Tonight, wanting a glass of wine while I perused past issues of WSJ, I decided to knock this one in the head. Cork was soaked and sticky, wine was sublime. No kidding, a solid 89 pts. and at 13% ABV I might even have a second glass. How did they lose their way, or were they just too eager to satisfy the "American palate", and lack of patience. This idea of recorking (and topping off if necessary with another wine) seems to be worthy of consideration. When a wine is out of sorts, or "shut down" this has worked for me on four different occasions, mostly with Bordeaux. I will not hesitate to use this technique again. Anyone else had a similar experience?
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: I did it again !!!

by OW Holmes » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:09 pm

18 MONTHS????? I,ve recorked for a few days, 3 or 4 at the most, but my experience has been that once exposed to the air, recorking won't really stop the wine from becoming oxydized in a week. I have never understood how wines can be recorked after 30 or 40 years without losing it. I am hoping someone will jump in here and tell me that they have had your experience, too.
-OW
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: I did it again !!!

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:42 pm

That's why I bothered to post this phenomenon on more than one occassion. It is interesting and usefull. And like you say, they do it with the ultra-high-end wines, they would not come over here and do it for free if it would harm the wine. It obviously works and is a ploy that we can all fall back on. You just hate it when you open that "special" bottle and it's not quite right. You can decant for a few hours, if you have the time, but if you don't, you are out of luck. It might be a while before you have the chance to try this technique, but keep it in mind, you just might be amazed.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman