The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Random thoughts: exhibitionism and rocks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MLawton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:28 pm

Re: Random thoughts: exhibitionism and rocks

by MLawton » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:18 pm

More white than red here too.

Funny thing is that when I go to pick a wine, I think no reds are ready to drink but I hardly ever have a problem finding a white wine.

So not only is our cellar biased but our drinking patterns are too - which I guess is a good thing, given the cellar composition.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:04 am

Mike,

I think if you look at what we generally buy, the reds are the ones that tend to need the age. We don't buy much early drinking red, so it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The whites usually drink reasonably well at any age, even if they are better either very young or with a good bit of age.

I'm betting in another 5 years things will start to even out for both of us as our cellars mature.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: better DEAD than RED???

by Ian Sutton » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:36 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I'll be odd man out here and say more than 80% of my cellar is red. That's based on Cellatracker, and the reality is I probably drink 40+% white, but tend to cellar less. I've had great experiences with aged Riesling, Chenin, and Chardonnay (at least in Burgundy), but for my tastes the benefits of cellaring are less clear with whites. The difference in pleasure between drinking young and drinking mature in a solid classified Bordeaux or top GC/1er red Burg is immense. But for me the difference is not as clear with most whites (Savennieres being the clearest exception).

Red 81.12%
Red - Fortified 0.68%
Red - Sweet/Dessert 0.19%
White 9.87%
White - Off-dry 4.26%
White - Sweet/Dessert 3.58%,
White - Sparkling ( 0.19%,
Rosé - Sparkling 0.10%

Dale
Not so odd, as this matches our split as well. In fact I was really surprised by the volume of whites in others cellars as so much talk tends to be on reds!
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:08 pm

Funny thing is that when I go to pick a wine, I think no reds are ready to drink but I hardly ever have a problem finding a white wine.
I hear ya. Lately I've been forcing myself to buy more ready-to-drink reds (like Brun beaujolais, CRB gamay, various S. Italian wines) instead of only investing in long term agers. It's tough working around the Perry Postulate ("Why buy 4 $15 bottles of wine when you could buy a Mascarello instead?")
Previous