The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Help with a wine for Gumbo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Berenson

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:40 pm

Help with a wine for Gumbo

by Bob Berenson » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:56 pm

I'm cooking a Cajun Seafood Gumbo (shrimp, oysters, crabmeat and Andouille Sausage) on Friday night and would love some advice regarding the best wine to serve. I think the Gumbo will be spicy but not out of hand. I was actually thinking of pairing it with an Austrian Gruner Vetliner, but I have almost any kind of wine you can name, so if you have any suggestions they would be welcome. Thanks very much for your help in advance.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Help with a wine for Gumbo

by Thomas » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:04 pm

Gruner might work.

Any tomatoes in the dish?

For red, try Zinfandel.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Berenson

Rank

Cellar rat

by Bob Berenson » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:14 pm

Great question about the tomatoes and I should have mentioned that there are NO tomatoes in the dish. Does that suggest anything?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:18 pm

Bob Berenson wrote:I'm cooking a Cajun Seafood Gumbo (shrimp, oysters, crabmeat and Andouille Sausage) on Friday night and would love some advice regarding the best wine to serve. I think the Gumbo will be spicy but not out of hand. I was actually thinking of pairing it with an Austrian Gruner Vetliner, but I have almost any kind of wine you can name, so if you have any suggestions they would be welcome. Thanks very much for your help in advance.

Bob, as I'm sure you know, if you dine in Cajun country you'll most likely quaff a cold beer in a long-neck bottle, and the wine list is likely to consist of "white, pink and red."

I find that a nice but not horribly expensive sparkling wine works with gumbo and other Acadian fare, though, and if it's on the spicier side of the spectrum, the much-maligned Italian Lambrusco (even mass-market brands like Cella or Riunite) works surprisingly well. This is a case where the food improves the wine as much as vice-versa.
no avatar
User

Bob Berenson

Rank

Cellar rat

by Bob Berenson » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:26 pm

I like the beer idea and had not thought of it because I'm so automatically aimed at wine--could be fun to try to search out something esoteric in that vein. Thanks for the suggestion.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:47 pm

Hello Bob, it looks as if you just found our little corner of the wine world, so let me be first to say welcome.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:57 pm

Welcome!

As a fan (and cook) of gumbo on a regular basis (and to whoever asked...it ain't gumbo if it's got tomato in it) I have found zinfandel to be a decent match (as long as the gumbo is not too spice), and gewurztraminer to also work ok (especially if the gumbo is spicier).

First, make a roux...

One key question...do you start your roux with bacon fat (I hope so...)? If you do then Northern Rhone Syrah works well also.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Berenson

Rank

Cellar rat

by Bob Berenson » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:27 pm

Thank you David. Of course, I hate to say it but Paul Prudhomme (and a few others) would disagree with your comment that a gumbo has to have tomato in it, but since I'm not Cajun I'm not getting into that fight :)

And I appreciate the comment about the bacon fat going with a Rhone.

What's your thinking about the Gruner Vetliner? Or about the beer? Just curious...although I have a feeling my wife is going to come down on the wine side when it comes to a choice.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:38 pm

Bob, there are many styles of seafood gumbo, the main difference being whether cream is added at the finish or not.

I've had many a gumbo and find for my palate that Beaujolais, Pinot Grigio and Alaskan Amber work the best for a red, white and beer.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:39 pm

Bob, another opinion: my hubby and I dined in Nawlins one night on gumbo and ordered four different wines by the glass to try with the dish. Best I remember it was a non-tomato gumbo, very dark with chicken and shrimp. Hands down the best wine with the food was a steely sauvignon blanc. The biggest loser: chardonnay. Among whites, I think a gruner would be excellent for the same or even better reasons than the sauv blanc had. We also had two reds in the middle, and I don't remember what they were except that the fruitier one, like the chardonnay, was the least appealing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Berenson

Rank

Cellar rat

by Bob Berenson » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:43 pm

Jenise:

I love doing research the way you do it. Sounds like it's coming down to a choice between the Gruner and the Beer--maybe I'll offer the guests the choice and let them decide. I had a feeling chardonnay would be a big mistake, and I'd prefer a white with the fish since that will dominate. Thanks.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:33 pm

No, no. Gumbo cannot have tomato. If I ever put tomato in gumbo I would be cast out by my south Texas/Louisiana/Mississippi in laws.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:01 pm

No, no. Gumbo cannot have tomato.

I disagree. My Cajun relatives routinely use tomatoes in their gumbo, as do I. I like to use Roma tomatoes (6-8). Some people don't put okra in their gumbo -- now that is a sin!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:47 am

The debate my tomato question created reminds me of the questions about chili--tomato or no? meat or no?

I've had gumbo with and without tomato--equally pleasing; sans tomato, unequally stupendous! If anyone tried to pass a non-okra-infused dish as gumbo I might have to take up my weapons...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:50 pm

Bob Berenson wrote:Jenise:

I love doing research the way you do it. Sounds like it's coming down to a choice between the Gruner and the Beer--maybe I'll offer the guests the choice and let them decide. I had a feeling chardonnay would be a big mistake, and I'd prefer a white with the fish since that will dominate. Thanks.

Bob, I'm not just being self-indulgent, it's how I learn. But it's also how I have a good time. :) Yes, offer your guests a choice--that's the most fun, anyway.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Berenson

Rank

Cellar rat

by Bob Berenson » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:40 pm

Jenise: Where are the San Juans??
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:44 pm

Right now Washington, but about to be annexed by Canada.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:26 pm

Bob Berenson wrote:Jenise: Where are the San Juans??

When I first got here I couldn't figure out how Jenise could be gazing into our next-door-neighbor Colorado's San Juan Mountains and keep talking about ocean views!

:oops:
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:55 pm

How [spicy] hot is the Gumbo?

Either way...beer is the "wine" I'd choose. :wink:
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:01 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Bob Berenson wrote:Jenise: Where are the San Juans??

When I first got here I couldn't figure out how Jenise could be gazing into our next-door-neighbor Colorado's San Juan Mountains and keep talking about ocean views!

:oops:

Not to worry, Cynthia....I didn't know which San Jauns she was refering to either. Lots of San Juans around the world. :)
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:53 am

You should see the whales off those San Juan islands...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:50 am

Bob, as everyone has said, Northern Washington. Smack on the coast, almost at the border. Maybe I should change my location to "the Pacific Northest Westest." :) If I grew grapes in my yard they'd be Puget Sound appellation.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:55 am

The beer with gumbo thing is just as inauthentic as wine. If we're talking deep south alcohol is frowned upon in all its forms, so the real accompaniment is unsweetend iced tea.

And okra may be a required ingredient, but only if you can get good okra. Bad okra may be the most hideous vegetable in the world.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:08 am

No beer? Louisiana drinks its fair share of alcohol:

Total per capita alcohol consumption in gallons of ethanol by State, United States, 2003.
U.S. total = 2.22 gallons

1.99 or below:
Alabama
Arkansas
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
New York
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Utah
West Virginia