The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Sineann Resonance Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 2005 Sineann Resonance Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley

by Redwinger » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:19 pm

2005 Sineann Resonance Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley

We just received our very first shipment of the Sineann line late last week, so we decided we'd open a bottle of the 2005 Sineann Resonance to start off our Thanksgiving Week down at the shop.

This is my first experience with a glass closure and I was impressed with how well it functioned. The wine was poured immediately after the "closure" was pulled to reveal a very promising nose of earth/loam/mushrooms/leafy stuff. The nose spoke of Willamette Valley to me. Unfortunately, none of this promise carried forward to the palate. Not a flawed wine by any stretch, but the palate spoke to me of California. More oak than I like in my Pinot and a concentrated black fruit profile. Still quite tannic. The wine struck me as being more about power than finesse, and I readily admit I stylistically prefer finesse over power in my wines. If served this blind, I'm sure I would have pegged it as a young, new world Syrah, probably from RRV. The wine didn't change much over the 4 hours it was opened.

I'm surely a bit premature in passing final judgement on this wine since it is very young, probably was recently bottled, and may have suffered from a bit of travel shock. I forgot to jot down the retail on this, but I'm pretty sure it is in the $45-$50 range.

I'd be very interested in other's experiences with this winery's Pinot.

Disclaimer: I sell this wine to people
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2005 Sineann Resonance Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley

by Jenise » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:29 pm

The wine struck me as being more about power than finesse,

That's been my impression of every Sineann I've had, which have been mostly the white and pink ones though not by any particular design. Your experience suggests it's true all the way down the line. I guess we can give them points for consistency!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:10 pm

Winger - I saw this a few days ago and meant to reply, then it slipped off the first page and I didn't get around to it until now. I think you nailed the Sineann style. They can be big and somewhat extracted.

My favorite of their single vineyards Pinot Noir is the Wyeast. The vineyard is in the Hood River Valley in the Columbia River Gorge at higher elevation than the Willamette Valley vineyards. The Wyeast Pinot has higher acidity that reminds me somewhat of Burgundy more so than their other wines. If you see the Wyeast it is well worth a try.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:55 am

Marc D wrote:Winger - I saw this a few days ago and meant to reply, then it slipped off the first page and I didn't get around to it until now. I think you nailed the Sineann style. They can be big and somewhat extracted.

My favorite of their single vineyards Pinot Noir is the Wyeast. The vineyard is in the Hood River Valley in the Columbia River Gorge at higher elevation than the Willamette Valley vineyards. The Wyeast Pinot has higher acidity that reminds me somewhat of Burgundy more so than their other wines. If you see the Wyeast it is well worth a try.

Marc-
Thanks for the heads-up on the Wyeast as it sounds as if it may be more to my liking. We have a bit of this in stock, so I'll get into one of our tasting line-ups and report back. Thanks again.
Bill
Disclaimer: I sell wine to people
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:39 pm

Redwinger wrote:The wine struck me as being more about power than finesse, and I readily admit I stylistically prefer finesse over power in my wines. If served this blind, I'm sure I would have pegged it as a young, new world Syrah, probably from RRV.
What is RRV? Rogue River Valley? Russian River Valley? Something else?
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:21 pm

Isaac,
Russian River Valley..you nailed it.
BP
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:35 am

Redwinger wrote:I'd be very interested in other's experiences with this winery's Pinot.

Disclaimer: I sell this wine to people

Honestly?

*cough* *hack* *gag* *shudder*