The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1996 Raphet - Clos de Vougeot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

WTN: 1996 Raphet - Clos de Vougeot

by Sam Platt » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:01 pm

Drank this on the occasion of my wife's forty - "mmmph mmmph" birthday. We used the corkage service at a new local dining establishment and had the wine decanted about one hour before the main course arrived.

Color: Excessively low lighting made it impossible to tell. Needed night vision goggles.

Nose: Bright cherry and citrus with the nice Burg earthy notes.

Taste: Very odd in that the wine was much tighter and acidic than it was when we drank the previous bottle about 18 months ago. I gave it a good swirl in the glass and then really swished it around in the decanter to coax something out of it. Finally got some black cherry and licorice, but the wine remained tart and overly acidic to the end. Not bad, but I found the wines new found youth to be somewhat baffling. Definitely not as harmonious and complex as the previous tasting. Perhaps this is the "dumb phase" that I've heard about. Oh well, live and learn. Dammit!
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: 1996 Raphet - Clos de Vougeot

by JC (NC) » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:32 pm

Sorry it let you down. I have had a small tasting of one Raphet Grand Cru Burgundy which I REALLY enjoyed--it was the 1999 Clos de Beze. I didn't think the 2000 Clos de Beze was as good and I haven't tried that producer's Vougeot.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:38 pm

Sam,
I hate it when "that" happens.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:21 pm

Sounds like it is still being a baby and going up and down considering your earlier tasting.

Have you tasted any of the Raphets since his son took over...I think in 02? I tried a few and thought the were going to be very nice wines.

Jason
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:58 pm

Jason,

I have tasted the Raphet Gevry-Chambertin 2003. It was quite good, but I ended up not buying it because I thought it was somewhat over priced for a reasonable QPR Gevry. I believe I bought the Jadot Gevry 2003 model instead. In the Vougeot I have only tasted the '96 and '98 Raphet and liked both of them enough to purchase. I did not know that the son had taken over in '02. I will have to seek out some more recent vintages.

Thanks,
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:22 pm

I invite you to join my DNO96 campaign, a powerful organization dedicated to encouraging people to leave 1996 Burgundies in the cellar. IMO every other vintage in the '90s will be ready long before 1996 and I wouldn't be surprised if they followed a similar aging curve to 1988 or even 1972 (while beinga better vintage than the former).

NB - Of course this is a vintage generalization and there will always be exceptions
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:32 am

Jay,

Unfortunately I needed to join your organization two weeks earlier. I have a '96 Grands Echezeaux that I planned to hold until '08. I am thinking I need to cellar it until at least 2012 now. I also have one more '96 Vougeot. I'm not sure when the heck to give that one another shot.

Thanks,
Sam

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:22 pm

Jay Miller wrote:I invite you to join my DNO96 campaign, a powerful organization dedicated to encouraging people to leave 1996 Burgundies in the cellar. IMO every other vintage in the '90s will be ready long before 1996 and I wouldn't be surprised if they followed a similar aging curve to 1988 or even 1972 (while beinga better vintage than the former).

So Jay, are you referring to GC and top 1er only? I have some village wines (Mugnier & Roumier C-M, Chevillon NSG VV) and lesser 1ers I was thinking of moving towards drink section. Please advise!
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:56 pm

Dale Williams wrote:So Jay, are you referring to GC and top 1er only? I have some village wines (Mugnier & Roumier C-M, Chevillon NSG VV) and lesser 1ers I was thinking of moving towards drink section. Please advise!

The few 96 village wines I have tried recently are drinking great. I would suspect the many 1er crus are starting to open for business, but no rush.

Jason
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:35 pm

I have much less experience with Burgundy (96 or otherwise) than others (especially Jay) but I also thought that the lower end wines could be approached now, especially from the CdBeaune..

Anyway, I know very little about Raphet as well (so what am I adding here :wink: ) but I seem to remember that they were one of the few true "traditional" wines at North Berkeley, and therefore quite drinkable. But this talk about the son taking over and changing the style would worry me a bit.

Anyway, depends what you're looking for.
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:03 pm

I've had some young but open village '96s, and a number of totally closed grand crus. I'd guess that you could chance a 1er cru, but I'd really open any '95s in preference.