The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Yalumba Hand Picked Eden Valley Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: 2002 Yalumba Hand Picked Eden Valley Riesling

by David Lole » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:41 am

Been working my way through a bottle of 2002 Yalumba Hand Picked Eden Valley Riesling and blow me down if this wondrous thing is ever going to die. At least one glass a day since Monday night and this afternoon another tipple and it's probably got better every day since being opened. Fascinating green gold colour. Lots of oily, petrolly stuff day one that does blow off with air but never fully retreats. Underneath you have loads of pithy citrus fruit with plenty of honey and toast as top notes and a strong river pebble, mineral and lime undercurrent driving the whole operation. Lashes of redcurrant and dried herb also add to the wine's overall complexity. The palate holds true to what precedes it with refreshing acidity holding the fort while the beautiful fruit gushes through to the back of the mouth like a small mountain stream. The finish if juicy, almost crunchy with terrific persistence long after swallowing. A near faultless aged riesling unless you're intolerant of trimethyldihydronaphthalenes. And as my three day experiment proves .... plenty of petrol in the tank. :wink: An exceptional white and 95 from me. Drink now - 2025+. Screwcap. 12.5% A/V.
Cheers,

David