The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

March 12th tasteing

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

March 12th tasteing

by Gary Bobier » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:15 pm

I am preparing a dinner for 5 people. The cost has to stay at $200 per person for food and wine. I think $150 for the wine $50 for the food will be good. I will take all ideas to help make this a super meal.

Champagne from a very small producer       Halibut Sashimi

Chablis Gran Cru                                        Salmon Tartare

Batard-Montrachet Lobster ravioli with lobster burre blanc and taragon cream reduction

Intermezzo

Penfolds 707 1997                                     Stuffed Quail and Beef Wellington with Roast Belgian endive and brussels sprouts with bacon
Arugula and red belgian endive in a strawberry habanero vinaigrette

A TBA Creme Brulee
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: March 12th tasteing

by Howie Hart » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Anywhere near Buffalo?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:13 pm

So for the wine, you are looking at 5 bottles for $750. Sounds like you already procured the Penfolds, that's maybe $200?
Champagne is easy, you can get a good grower NV for $40-60. Where are you? Local availabilty is what matters, I love Bremont, Beaufortt, Agrapart, Larmandier, Laherte.
After that, need to figure out where to put the bulk of money. Roughly $500 for a GC Chablis, Batard, and TBA. Plenty of each (especially the latter 2) that could cost that per bottle. German Riesling TBAs from good producers even from young vintages would be a big hunk of that budget, even in 375 (which is plenty for 5 people). One possibility would be to look outside Riesling- Darting has Rieslaner TBAs that are considerably less; there are also blends from Austria that are comparatively inexpensive (check out winemonger's imports).
With the white Burgs, big concern is premox. With 5 bottles on a budget you don't want one to be shot. I don't think budget really allows for pre-1995 wines, so I'd be looking at 2007 or 2008. If you went with basic NV grower Champagne and a half bottle of Darting Rieslaner, you maybe could do Dauvissat (R&V) Clos or Preuses and a Pernot Batard (or maybe Jadot). Of if you went for a Brocard or Fevre GC Chablis, maybe would have enough for a Drouhin or Sauzet Batard (or Niellon if you're really lucky).
Again, depends on local market. Single or 2 bottle shipping would eat in a lot to budget.
Lastly, even if you try not to buy premox-heavy vintages, any of the bottles could be off- corked, cooked, or whatever. So I'd have a backup white and red just in case. Not part of the budget, doesn't have to be equivalent, but some solid bottles.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Gary Bobier wrote: Halibut Sashimi

I hope you have a fishmonger you can really trust or are buying frozen halibut; they are bottom feeders and often have parasites.
no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

by Gary Bobier » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:
Gary Bobier wrote: Halibut Sashimi

I hope you have a fishmonger you can really trust or are buying frozen halibut; they are bottom feeders and often have parasites.

I have a great fish guy here in Las Vegas that will give me super fresh Halibut. I was planning on serving just a few slices with a drizzel of EVOO, a squeeze of Myer lemon juice and a sprinkle of pink sea salt from Hawaii.
no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

by Gary Bobier » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Dale Williams wrote:So for the wine, you are looking at 5 bottles for $750. Sounds like you already procured the Penfolds, that's maybe $200?
Champagne is easy, you can get a good grower NV for $40-60. Where are you? Local availabilty is what matters, I love Bremont, Beaufortt, Agrapart, Larmandier, Laherte.
After that, need to figure out where to put the bulk of money. Roughly $500 for a GC Chablis, Batard, and TBA. Plenty of each (especially the latter 2) that could cost that per bottle. German Riesling TBAs from good producers even from young vintages would be a big hunk of that budget, even in 375 (which is plenty for 5 people). One possibility would be to look outside Riesling- Darting has Rieslaner TBAs that are considerably less; there are also blends from Austria that are comparatively inexpensive (check out winemonger's imports).
With the white Burgs, big concern is premox. With 5 bottles on a budget you don't want one to be shot. I don't think budget really allows for pre-1995 wines, so I'd be looking at 2007 or 2008. If you went with basic NV grower Champagne and a half bottle of Darting Rieslaner, you maybe could do Dauvissat (R&V) Clos or Preuses and a Pernot Batard (or maybe Jadot). Of if you went for a Brocard or Fevre GC Chablis, maybe would have enough for a Drouhin or Sauzet Batard (or Niellon if you're really lucky).
Again, depends on local market. Single or 2 bottle shipping would eat in a lot to budget.

Lastly, even if you try not to buy premox-heavy vintages, any of the bottles could be off- corked, cooked, or whatever. So I'd have a backup white and red just in case. Not part of the budget, doesn't have to be equivalent, but some solid bottles.

Dale, Thank you for the response.

We are looking at one of the small RM vintage producers that have been popping up in the market in the last few years. I do not have the names yet but it will be in the $140 range. For the Grand Cru Chablis I have had wine from Les Clos and want to try another area. I am thinking $150 for a 2003 or 2005 vintage. The Batard is the wild card. I want a wine with a bit supplenesss to it to go well with the Lobster Ravioli. 2001 or 2002. I did a 2006 a few months a go and it was super but a bit too acidic yet for the Lobster. I figure $200. For the TBA I have a line on a Alois Kracher. I do not know yet what variatal it will be.$110 for a .375. That will cover the $600 for the wine and I will be suppling the 707 with a cost of $200. I will open all of these wines at the wine shop except the Champange to be sure they are sound and will reseal them and drink them with in an hour or so. I do have a back up for the 707 and the Champange. My wine guy stands behind all of his products should it be corked. This is a problem I feel could not be corrected if I was to get wine shipped to me.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:07 pm

If your shop stands behind premOxed white Burgs then that opens up vintages for sure (lots of places that might replace corked bottles are more reticent with oxidation). Gives you big advantage.
Personally, never had a 2003 Chablis that I really liked (or that especially tasted like Chablis). For $150 you could buy most 2005 GCs (probably anything except Ravenau), so if shop has I'd get a Preuses from Dauvissat or a good Valmur, Blanchots, etc.
Surprised at a 2006 being too acidic. Definitely opt for 2002 over 2001 then- can't imagine any 2001 would have less acid than a 2006 counterpart. If you can get a good prducer Batard for $200 shop is a gem.
Sounds like Kracher prices have shot up since he passed away.

Hirame is one of my favorite sushi/sashimi fish, always good to get any fish for raw from a really good source (though I think flatfish are in the middle of the parasite threat range, no where near salmon, swordfish, etc).

Sounds like a fabulous dinner.
no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

by Gary Bobier » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:26 am

Dale Williams wrote:If your shop stands behind premOxed white Burgs then that opens up vintages for sure (lots of places that might replace corked bottles are more reticent with oxidation). Gives you big advantage.
Personally, never had a 2003 Chablis that I really liked (or that especially tasted like Chablis). For $150 you could buy most 2005 GCs (probably anything except Ravenau), so if shop has I'd get a Preuses from Dauvissat or a good Valmur, Blanchots, etc.
Surprised at a 2006 being too acidic. Definitely opt for 2002 over 2001 then- can't imagine any 2001 would have less acid than a 2006 counterpart. If you can get a good prducer Batard for $200 shop is a gem.
Sounds like Kracher prices have shot up since he passed away.

Hirame is one of my favorite sushi/sashimi fish, always good to get any fish for raw from a really good source (though I think flatfish are in the middle of the parasite threat range, no where near salmon, swordfish, etc).

Sounds like a fabulous dinner.

I agree on the halibut. If it looks good I will do it. If not a nice piece of Yellow fin tuna will work or maybe a bit of a sword fish Carpacio.

I will keep you posted on the final out come. This meal will take me a good 12 hours of shopping, prepping and cooking. The Damn brown veal stock for the Quail will take me 2 hours of prep. I quess it is all worth it in the end. Good Friends, Good food and Good conservation.