The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

German Label challenge: Help me explain this simply

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: German Label challenge: Help me explain this simply

by Bill Hooper » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:42 am

Lars Carlberg wrote: Many of these "entry-level" Rieslings, even if from purchased grapes, come from steep slate slopes and old vines. Moreover, the wines have plenty of ripeness nowadays, so that chaptalization is less common than before.

Very true. But to use the designation 'Gutsabfüllung' (filled by the producer) or to even use the term 'Weingut' on the label, cartons, and promotional matierial technically including the company website, the grapes have to come from parcels farmed by the producer - either owned or rented parcels. Many of the contracts for rented parcels last twenty years or more.

Some producers will just print thier name on the lable (like Selbach instead of Weingut Selbach-Oster) to get around this.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Trier, Germany

Re: German Label challenge: Help me explain this simply

by Lars Carlberg » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:
Lars Carlberg wrote: Many of these "entry-level" Rieslings, even if from purchased grapes, come from steep slate slopes and old vines. Moreover, the wines have plenty of ripeness nowadays, so that chaptalization is less common than before.

Very true. But to use the designation 'Gutsabfüllung' (filled by the producer) or to even use the term 'Weingut' on the label, cartons, and promotional matierial technically including the company website, the grapes have to come from parcels farmed by the producer - either owned or rented parcels. Many of the contracts for rented parcels last twenty years or more.

Some producers will just print thier name on the lable (like Selbach instead of Weingut Selbach-Oster) to get around this.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill, if you read my first comment on this thread, I do mention the difference between Gutsabfüllung and Abfüllung. Yet most producers leave off the term "Weingut" anyway and have only one label for all their wines.
Previous