The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Leo Buring DW F18 Watervale Riesling 2002

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Leo Buring DW F18 Watervale Riesling 2002

by David Lole » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:24 pm

2002’s renowned as one helluva vintage for riesling in the Clare Valley and this flagship wine from Leo Buring has finally come out of its considerable slumber and is now well worth crowing about - hence an individual tasting note. Having sampled this label occassionally since I bought a case many moons ago, last night’s bottle was the first one with a major dose of “x” factor. Firstly, the wine’s colour is an amazing bright and youthful, glowing straw green. The pristine bouquet leaps from the glass reeking of concentrated lime juice, kaffir leaf, slate and minerals, followed by an identically nuanced and intense palate that holds the most immaculate line through the mouth. Blessed with a wealth of precisely-judged, integrated and cleansing mineral-tinged acidity, this most outstanding riesling reveals a rivetting, almost explosive finish and should reach its zenith in a decade but could easily last another thereafter. 94+ points. Great juice.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Leo Buring DW F18 Watervale Riesling 2002

by Jenise » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Sure sounds like an exciting wine, David. Wish we got more Clare Valley reislings here.

Say, do you know Adelina, speaking of Clare Valley? If so could you comment on what one might expect of an 04 Adelina shiraz--I posted a tasting note on one this morning, and we're having something of a debate.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: Leo Buring DW F18 Watervale Riesling 2002

by David Lole » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 pm

I know they are very small but do have some 100 year old shiraz vines near the Wendouree vineyard. They used to supply Tim Adams (another Clare producer) with grapes until the current owners took over a while back. Never tried their wines, but expect the shiraz would be very low yielding with intense black fruits and solid structure with long cellar life as long as the A/V's aren't too high - I'm talking circa 14% and skyward (sometimes) which often produces unbalanced wines IMHO in too short a cellaring timespan as a rule, although I am noticing a number of producers now quite sensibly picking earlier with A/V's now coming in closer to 13%! (Hoorah!)
Cheers,

David