Single Vintage Tasting

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Single Vintage Tasting

Postby Bill Spohn » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:50 pm

I was just invited to a theme tasting you don't see very often - any wine from anywhere as long as it is from the year 2000. (I checked - I have 62 different wines that qualify, so hard decisions will have to be made).

I've done something like thsi before - 1985 and 1990 tastings as the vintage was good in many places - Italy, France, California, but it's been a long time since I did that. Anyone tackled this recently? BTW, it is a blind tasting, so you need to decide if you are dealing with an old seeming BC wine or a baby from Barolo.
Bill Spohn
He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Re: Single Vintage Tasting

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Did a 1998 theme a little while back. The sheer variety makes me a bit crazy. I would go for a Barolo/Barbaresco or Burgundy if faced with 2000 right now.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Re: Single Vintage Tasting

Postby Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 pm

2000 Chateauneufs are also doing well, by and large. While it's an interesting conceit, I don't really see the point of casting the net that broadly for a tasting. Is one really going to learn much tasting a 2000 Barolo against a 2000 Musigny? Maybe I'm just getting grumpier with advancing age.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist

Return to The Wine Forum