The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Whazzup at Matanzas Creek these days?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Whazzup at Matanzas Creek these days?

by Jenise » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:09 pm

Was a time when I liked their merlot a lot. When the price went over $30 I gave up, and so did a lot of other people. I believe the last merlot I drank was the 92 and that would have been around 95. Around then the winery sold. In the ten years since, though I've seen the merlot at Costco I've not been served this wine anywhere, and I've seen the Sauv Blanc occasionally on restaurant wine lists.

It literally went from being one of the more talked-about and sought-after wines around to completely ho-hum. Looking back, the change seems overnight--they raised the price of the merlot to $38 a bottle, and everybody balked, apparently never to return judging by the dearth of tasting notes around.

Anyone had one recently? The Sauv Blanc was terrific about four years ago with assertive pan-Asian fare at Chinois on Main in Santa Monica. I ate there like three nights in a row (I was staying close by) and ordered the same wine every night but one, and the deviation was a disaster. I haven't tasted the current vintage (05) but I'm considering it for a salad course my neighborhood wine club is serving at our Christmas dinner based on my memories of.

Any recent notes on the 05 SB would be appreciated. As well, just out of sheer curiosity, how's the merlot?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Whazzup at Matanzas Creek these days?

by Bob Ross » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:24 pm

Here's my last note, Jenise. We've given up on the wine, in part because we've outgrown Merlot pretty much:

2/26/03 Wed Caneel Bay. Equator. Crab cakes and lobster. 1998 Matanzas Merlot Napa Valley California. Pretty wine, drinking nicely. 4*.