The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: LaPiuma Pecorino '11...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: LaPiuma Pecorino '11...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:55 pm

Tried this last night w/ Susan:
1. LaPiuma Pecorino IGT: Terre di Chieti (12.5%) ProoccaCellar/Forli 2011: Med.gold slight bronze/copper color (skin contact?); rather stoney/mineral little fruit austere/metallic eviscerated nose; very tart/lean/schreechy stoney/chalky no fruit some metallic/tinny thin/watery/eviscerated flavor; med.short thin/lean/stoney/mineral/earthy no fruit thin/eviscerated finish; a total paucity of fruit until it's at room temperature and it shows a slight citrus/grapefruity character; very terroir driven I guess but not much of interest here; a then/vapid/eviscerated Italian white w/ nothing to recommend about it. $12.00 (WF)
A wee BloodyPulpit: Pecorino is an old grape variety found in the Marche. It should probably best be left there. I've had some 4-5 Pecorinos before and have been distinctly underwhelmed by them. Maybe w/ full skin contact, barrel fermentation, lees stirring, new Fr.oak barrel aging, full malolactic; something could be salvaged from this miserable grape. Hopefully, it will never escape the Marche.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: LaPiuma Pecorino '11...(short/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:03 am

maybe if Pamela Anderson poured it into your mouth from a Porron!
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

Re: WTN: LaPiuma Pecorino '11...(short/boring)

by Bonnie in Holland » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:13 am

Gosh, Tom, I rather like Pecorino. I drink the Casale Vecchio, also IGT from Terre di Chieti (Abruzzo, not the Marche, I think?) and find it mineraly,light and elegant, somewhat in the manner of a lovely rose from Provence. This one has no coppery color....quite pale...and definitely not tart. The acids are medium and in balance. cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:00 am

Bonnie in Holland wrote:Gosh, Tom, I rather like Pecorino. I drink the Casale Vecchio, also IGT from Terre di Chieti (Abruzzo, not the Marche, I think?) and find it mineraly,light and elegant, somewhat in the manner of a lovely rose from Provence. This one has no coppery color....quite pale...and definitely not tart. The acids are medium and in balance. cheers, Bonnie

Yup, Bonnie....this is from the Abruzzi. Jancis states that the origins of Pecorino are the Marche...but there's some
in Abruzzo as well.
The other ones I've had, the UmaniRonchi being the best, have been pleasant enough....just that.
This one just struck me as particularly vapid, though.
Tom