The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Jean Laurent Champagnes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

WTN: 2 Jean Laurent Champagnes

by geo t. » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:59 pm

I’ve been a fan of Jean Laurent Champagnes for about a year now (better late than never); he is a grower as well as winemaker, so he’s responsible for the whole enchilada… er, wine. I tasted the following two at a trade event a while back, and got just enough of a snapshot to get the sense that I’d like to get to know them better, so I took the opportunity to do just that during the World Series.

Jean Laurent Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut NV, $41.99, 12% alc.: Medium straw in color, with a fab mousse and fine, active bead; gives up toasty, yeasty, flinty aromatics, following through in the palate with plenty more of the same, all buoyed by a solid core of rich, if under-ripe apples, all shaded with a chalky minerality. Medium full body, with excellent acidity and length, this is down to the bone dry, and downright dee-lish, getting better and better with air. This one is lots of fun, especially while watching the Tigers only victory in the World Series. If Kenny Rogers had taken his regular turn in the pitching rotation, the following wine might have been enjoyed with a similar outcome in Game 5.

Jean Laurent Champagne Blanc de Noirs Brut NV, $39.99, 12% alc.: Medium straw in color, with a big mousse hairdo and another fine, active bead; this one really blows my coif back with yeasty green apple flavors and aromas accented with a streak of spicy lime and some bread dough lurking in the background. Young, primary and seriously intense, with zippy acidity and very good length, and as much as I really like this now, I’d love to try it in another three to five years to see what the bottle age will do for it.

Jean Laurent Champagne imported by Hand Picked Selections, Warrenton, VA

-From Bubbles in October

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: 2 Jean Laurent Champagnes

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:43 pm

If you look carefully you can find non-dosage versions of the same wines. They make for an interesting contrast.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:12 am

If you look carefully you can find non-dosage versions of the same wines
How can you determine dosage anywho? Does one have to do research and read winemakers notes to find out the treatment? There isn't any nifty little code on the label is there? (Asked by he who just learned about RM and NM)..
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:31 am

The non-dosage bottles say so on the label.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:54 pm

The non-dosage bottles say so on the label.
:lol: Can't get much simpler than that. thanks, David.