The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Foppiano Petite Sirah '05

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTN: Foppiano Petite Sirah '05

by John Treder » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:02 am

Calif., Russian River Valley, Foppiano, Estate Bottled Petite Sirah 2005
Opened two full hours before dinner. First taste was sharp to make me wince, but finished sweet. After an hour, medium tannins, nice pepper. With dinner, delicious. Dark, inky color, mellow, smooth tannins, blackberry and something that's often called cassis, though I don't think I ever met a cassis, but tart like that term usually describes.
This was before Foppiano went through their bad years. They seem to be getting it back together again.
14.5% alcohol Bought at the winery for $18 in April '09
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Foppiano Petite Sirah '05

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:09 am

Reference your quoted "bad run", I stopped buying Foppiano a few years back and always wondered what the heck went wrong there.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: Foppiano Petite Sirah '05

by John Treder » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:10 pm

It's a long story. Lou was getting close to 90 and didn't have the energy to keep up with the whole business, and the younger generations got involved in an Italian family squabble. (I've known some Italian families.)
Because of the business, the family feud spilled over into court, the business nearly went bankrupt, and so on.
A year or two ago, the situation was finally settled, leaving nobody really happy I imagine. The second winemaker they hired at about that time turned out to be pretty good, and she is making much better wines, if not quite as traditional in style as the 80s and 90s wines.
It's not my story, and I don't know many details.
John in the wine county