The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mumm Cordon Rouge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

WTN: Mumm Cordon Rouge

by Jeff B » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:36 pm

91 (Dec 2012)
Delicious! This bottle has a certain "ready to drink" quality, perhaps due to the proportion of Pinot Meunier in the blend? Round-tasting with a lingering hint of yeast that pops up in the aftertaste.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Mumm Cordon Rouge

by Bill Hooper » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:15 pm

I proposed to my wife in Paris and being unprepared as usual (I remembered the ring, but not the bubbly), our Champagne options were limited on the way back to our hotel. We dropped into a neighborhood corner-store pretty late at night and the two Champagnes available were the Mumm Cordon Rouge and V-C. I wasn't about to spoil a wonderful day with a bottle of Veuve, and I've had a soft spot in my heart for MCR ever since.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:I proposed to my wife in Paris and being unprepared as usual (I remembered the ring, but not the bubbly), our Champagne options were limited on the way back to our hotel. We dropped into a neighborhood corner-store pretty late at night and the two Champagnes available were the Mumm Cordon Rouge and V-C. I wasn't about to spoil a wonderful day with a bottle of Veuve, and I've had a soft spot in my heart for MCR ever since.

Cheers,
Bill

That's beautiful, Bill. Thanks for sharing. Those are the moments that can make champagnes truly special.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:08 pm

I was seriously unimpressed with a bottle this weekend, but it might well have been a storage issue (someone brought to a big party)
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:08 am

Mumm Cordon Rouge has been a top performer in our blind tastings over the last 7-8 years. Coming in somewhere between 6th and 1st place (out of 20 wines). Like Taittinger and Gruet, it has been a solid performer. Just wish I could afford to drink on a daily basis.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:29 am

Richard Fadeley wrote:Mumm Cordon Rouge has been a top performer in our blind tastings over the last 7-8 years. Coming in somewhere between 6th and 1st place (out of 20 wines). Like Taittinger and Gruet, it has been a solid performer. Just wish I could afford to drink on a daily basis.

I'm glad to hear it's been performing well. I've read that the wine has been improved upon in recent years, yet, I thought it was pretty darn good even back when it was supposedly "under-performing". So who knows. :)

On the other hand, I recently had a Louis Roederer NV that I thought was less than stellar (kind of green) and that's supposed to be a NV champagne that can't miss. I think bottle variation plays such a big part with all the houses.

Jeff