The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ch d'Oupia Minervois Rouge 2010

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Ch d'Oupia Minervois Rouge 2010

by Hoke » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:17 pm

Chateau d’Oupia Rouge, Minervois, 2010

From the beginning, sitting in the glass, mysterious and opaque, with its deep brooding purple-black solidity and its irresistible enticing aromas wafting into the air like perfume, the Chateau d’Oupia seizes your attention.

Blackberries on a hot day, so ripe they are about to burst and dribble juice down your chin. Fresh-picked savory herbs crushed in your hands. Dried purple flowers. Dark dusky plums fat and silky in the mouth. Exotic Asian spices, with a whisper of Five Star Anise. Endless layers of deep, intense flavors constantly revealing themselves with each new sip.

If you're interested, more at http://www.examiner.com/article/in-the-land-of-the-pays-d-oc-chateau-d-oupia-minervois
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: Ch d'Oupia Minervois Rouge 2010

by Mark Lipton » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Hoke wrote:Chateau d’Oupia Rouge, Minervois, 2010

From the beginning, sitting in the glass, mysterious and opaque, with its deep brooding purple-black solidity and its irresistible enticing aromas wafting into the air like perfume, the Chateau d’Oupia seizes your attention.

Blackberries on a hot day, so ripe they are about to burst and dribble juice down your chin. Fresh-picked savory herbs crushed in your hands. Dried purple flowers. Dark dusky plums fat and silky in the mouth. Exotic Asian spices, with a whisper of Five Star Anise. Endless layers of deep, intense flavors constantly revealing themselves with each new sip.

If you're interested, more at http://www.examiner.com/article/in-the-land-of-the-pays-d-oc-chateau-d-oupia-minervois

Thanks, Hoke. I picked up a couple bottles of this on a recent jaunt to Chicago but have yet to open one. I'll have to do so soon.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Hoke, I read the attached article and enjoyed it. The picture of the old vines is great. The Iché wines for me have reliably tasty, fairly readily available, and great QPR.
Do you know if Le Heretique has always been made half from semi carbonic fermentation and half traditional fermentation?
I always thought that wine had a hint of semi carbonic about it.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Marc D wrote:Hoke, I read the attached article and enjoyed it. The picture of the old vines is great. The Iché wines for me have reliably tasty, fairly readily available, and great QPR.
Do you know if Le Heretique has always been made half from semi carbonic fermentation and half traditional fermentation?
I always thought that wine had a hint of semi carbonic about it.

Marc, I believe, but am not entirely certain, that Le Heretiqe was designed by Iche from the beginning to be partial carbonic...and hence his heretical finger in the air with the name. All my impressions of the man have led me to believe he was both deeply committed to making excellent Minervois wines and capable of being as nose-thumbing, irreverent and iconoclastic as he wished.

I sincerely regret not having known him.