The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cellar Tracker has a new look!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Cellar Tracker has a new look!

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:04 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
Diane (Long Island) wrote:Voila! Thank you, Dale.

I can't tell you how long it took me to find it even after you mentioned it.

I really wish you had spent 2-3 minutes perusing this document: https://www.cellartracker.com/content.asp?iContent=41
It is still worth a quick skim.
The new site BEGS people in two prominent places to do so. I sent personal emails to everyone asking them to do so. It covers this exact topic (THE MENU).

Which I did, and found it extremely confusing.
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:15 pm

You're not the only one Diane.

Eric's overall response to confusion has been disappointingly defensive IMO.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:22 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:You're not the only one Diane.

I don't know, David. He's put a lot of work into this over a number years. This is, if you wish, a free product. You can always vote with your feet if you are unhappy with it. You might even asked for a refund of your yearly payment, if you did make one. At this point, I'm betting Eric would oblige.

I think making constructive criticisms are valid and Eric appreciates them. But all the carping is getting annoying. Use Excel to track your wines if you are so aggrieved.
Last edited by James Dietz on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:32 pm

James,

I have supported Eric with $ for many years. You actually have no standing to tell me what to do in this.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Eric LeVine

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:27 pm

Seattle, WA

by Eric LeVine » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:18 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:You're not the only one Diane.

David, I am defensive towards you, because I feel like I am playing Whack-A-Mole with you in particular. Every time I turn around I find many of the same comments from you on many boards (all of which I have tried to respond to already in some form). In this case I found what I consider to be an alarmist and gross misrepresentation of my stance with regard to the old site. We have done this same dance now on three boards. Can you please tell me what other boards you happen to post on, so that I can know where to go next to do this again?

You tell me I am being defensive, but would you like me to quote your initial posts on my support forum? Actually on BOTH of the other two threads I have had to ask OTHER people to stop attacking you, because other people actually have had stronger negative reactions to your posts than I have. So yes, I am getting defensive, but it's only because I feel like I am watching the movie Groundhog Day.

I understand you do not like the level of color contrast in the new site. I told you already on two boards and now three that I do not have a solution for you just yet.

Can you please do us both a favor and just use the old site? Please???? I give up. I understand that you will likely never like the new site. That's OK. You have an alternative.
Last edited by Eric LeVine on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric 'CellarTracker' LeVine
It rhymes with wine...
no avatar
User

Eric LeVine

Rank

Wine geek

Seattle, WA

by Eric LeVine » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:
Eric LeVine wrote:
Diane (Long Island) wrote:Voila! Thank you, Dale.

I can't tell you how long it took me to find it even after you mentioned it.

I really wish you had spent 2-3 minutes perusing this document: https://www.cellartracker.com/content.asp?iContent=41
It is still worth a quick skim.
The new site BEGS people in two prominent places to do so. I sent personal emails to everyone asking them to do so. It covers this exact topic (THE MENU).

Which I did, and found it extremely confusing.

Diane, I am sorry that you found it confusing. Now that you found the menu that is referred to in the FAQ, do you have any suggestions on how I could have explained that more clearly? If I release a short 2 minute video tutorial that visually steps people through each of the items called out in my FAQ, is that the sort of thing you might watch and find helpful?
It rhymes with wine...
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:57 pm

Eric - I would find a tutorial very beneficial. The more I use the new sight, the easier it is becoming, but it is most helpful when someone can explain it, as Dale Williams just did. When I went back to look at the link you provided, it made me dizzy. I would watch a tutorial.

Thanks for all you are doing for the wine loving community, and thank you for the few times I've needed your assistance on Cellartracker.
Diane
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Great suggestion Diane. It would certainly help some of us who are not so well computer- knowledge-endowed.
After some problems, I am finally signed in with a new password so that`s progress for me!
no avatar
User

Eric LeVine

Rank

Wine geek

Seattle, WA

by Eric LeVine » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 pm

OK folks, I have been meaning to try and get a screencast recorded to highlight the key trips from the switching document. I will see if I can get it done late this week.
It rhymes with wine...
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:10 am

I still seem to have problems posting a new Tasting Note and I am signed in.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:57 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:I still seem to have problems posting a new Tasting Note and I am signed in.

Bob
As usual, you don't give us much to go on, but have you tried posting your TN problems to the CT Forums? You'll probably get a quicker response there. The forums can be found by clicking on the "Discussions" link.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:06 pm

Bob
Try the quick links button at the top of the page - add a TN is there, along with a handful of other common tasks. Of course it will also be elsewhere, but quick links is probably easiest for now.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:I still seem to have problems posting a new Tasting Note and I am signed in.

Bob
As usual, you don't give us much to go on, but have you tried posting your TN problems to the CT Forums? You'll probably get a quicker response there. The forums can be found by clicking on the "Discussions" link.

I think that signed-in is different from loged-in, is it not? I am wondering if I have bookmarked the right page when I enter the site?
People should understand that some of us here have very limited computer experience and will struggle with stuff like this.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Bob-
I have no idea what page you have book marked. here is the link to CT Home Page which is a logical starting point for any discussion:
http://www.cellartracker.com/
The sign-in (Log-in, if you prefer) is at the upper right.
If you scroll to the bottom of the home Page there is a link, which if you click on it will take you to the Classic Mode (Old View). You might consider doing this until such point you are more comfortable with the new version.

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:People should understand that some of us here have very limited computer experience and will struggle with stuff like this.

Exactly the reason I strongly urge my Mother never to get a PC....heck, toasters give her problems. :P
no avatar
User

Eric LeVine

Rank

Wine geek

Seattle, WA

by Eric LeVine » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Bob was emailing me the other night. It did not appear that he was actually logged into the site. Logged in. Signed in. Whatever. Same thing. To the site you are either a guest or are logged in as a specific user. If you are not logged in, you cannot create tasting notes or really do anything that involves creating data.

As to why Bob can't stay logged in, I cannot speak to that. The login code on the site has not changed in 15 months.
It rhymes with wine...
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:17 am

Bob-
Did you try any of the suggestions?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 am

https://www.cellartracker.com/pickproducer.asp?TN=true

So I went to quick links, entered wine I want to post on but could not enter Step 2 and 3.
As you can see, I am signed in.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:37 am

Take this with a grain of salt as I am not a member at CT (my cellar is too large to convert in any reasonable time frame), but I do pop in there from time to time, to look at notes, and from the point of view of a casual user, (although I agree most people don't like change whether good or bad), it doesn't really bother me.

Obviously a constant user may have developed more ingrained preferences.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:27 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:https://www.cellartracker.com/pickproducer.asp?TN=true

So I went to quick links, entered wine I want to post on but could not enter Step 2 and 3.
As you can see, I am signed in.

Based upon the link you provided, you are not signed in. On the page you linked, have you tried clicking on "sign in" link (upper right of your screen shot)? If you click on the sign in link you will get a pop up box to enter your Handle (user name) and password. That should get you signed in. If not, you're having issues that seem unique to you or your PC.
Have you tried going back to the classic view as a short term solution?
no avatar
User

Eric LeVine

Rank

Wine geek

Seattle, WA

by Eric LeVine » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:29 pm

If he is seeing an https link he likely is signed on.

1) Starting here: https://www.cellartracker.com/pickproducer.asp?TN=true
2) You type part of the name of a wine and click WINE LOOKUP or hit enter. For example: https://www.cellartracker.com/pickprodu ... on&TN=true
3) You click the checkbox next to a wine and the shopping cart at right should update.
4) Click CONTINUE TO STEP 3. For example: https://www.cellartracker.com/editnote. ... iCart0=336

It should be self apparent from here. Steps 1 and 2 rely on no fancy script and are identical to the old site.
It rhymes with wine...
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:58 am

Step 2, no problem with that.
Nothing pops up after clicking on the checkbox.
So unable to view Step 4!

There is obviously a problem with the set up here which seems quite unexplainable. I appreciate all the imput from you all here.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Bob,
so you clicked checkbox of vintage/wine you want. And nothing appears on right side (under selected wines?) Is it possible your screen is not set wide enough? Can you see right side margin?
Even if you don't see selected wine, if in Add Tasting Note sequence once I click a vintage of my target wine a large red button that says "Continue to Step 3" activates.
Very strange/
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:37 pm

That is a good question Dale, here is the image of my Home page>

https://www.cellartracker.com/default.asp

Goodness me, I see I have a fan..after all this!!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Bob,
that's just the link. Can you take a screenshot of page once you have selected wine?

Step 2, no problem with that.
Nothing pops up after clicking on the checkbox.
So unable to view Step 4!
PreviousNext