The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: More Calif Rhones from the Archives...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: More Calif Rhones from the Archives...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 pm

We tried last night (11/21/12) Some Rhones From The Archives:
1. EdmundsStJohn Syrah Wylie-Fenaughty/ElDoradoCnty (14.1%) 1999: Med.dark color w/ little bricking;
some earthy/dusty light blackberry/Syrah/quite spicy bit cedary/old red slight Rhonish/coffee
quite complex/interesting nose; tart bit lean/tangy some earthy/dusty/granite slight tannic/
dried out slight mushroomy/forest floor light blackberry/Syrah flavor; long very tart/tangy/
grapefruity light blackberry/Syrah slight Rhonish/pungent/coffee slight cedary/old red some
astringent/dried out complex finish; rather tart/tangy/screechy on the palate w/ a quiet undercurrent
of blackberry/Syrah; rather interesting Syrah but probably headed downhill. $26.00
long smooth/soft slight tannic/dried out quite charred/toasty/oak/smokey/pungent flavor; a rather
attractive fully mature Syrah but a bit too much like a Syrah made by a Cabernet producer. $40.00
med.long strong blackberry/spicy/Syrah/peppery fairly pencilly/oak bit pungent/espresso/graphite finish
w/ some tannic/astringent bite in backtaste; a solid/typical SBC Syrah that is starting to dry out a bit.
$25.00
slight tannic/dried out flavor; long herbal/walnutty/pungent strong blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/chocolaty
light pencilly/oak finish w/ slight astringent/dried out aftertaste; a rather interesting/atypical SBC Syrah
that's probably as good as it will ever be. $25.00
climate some roasted/Rhonish/smokey quite complex beautiful flavor w/ smooth/polished/well-
integrated tannins; very long/lingering intense blackberry/Syrah/blueberry/spicy quite cold-climate/
cracked black pepper rather pungent/espresso/Rhonish/roasted quite complex finish w/ smooth/soft/
polished tannins; a pretty stunning cold-climate Syrah and demonstrates that Bassetti grapes are
(sometimes) some of the best Syrah being grown in Calif. $30.00
eucalyptus rather cedary/pencilly/old red bit tired some unclean/bretty bit complex nose; light
fairly smooth cedary/pencilly/old Zin slight minty/menthol bit tired/dried out flavor w/ some
astringency; med.long cedary/pencilly/old Zin bit tired/dried out/astringent slight menthol/eucalyptus
somewhat astringent finish; some interesting things in there but probably on its last legs. $18.00
some cedary/pencilly/old Red tired flavor w/ no signs of any fruit; med rather mousey/mouse nest/unclean/
herbal somewhat tannic/dried out/tired finish; very strange/weird PS w/ a real paucity of fruit. $35.00
ripe/quite spicy light toasty/oak flavor w/ smooth/polished/round/fine-grained tannins; very long slight
hot alcoholic intense huge fruit/blackberry/boysenberry/PS/licorice/chocolaty very spicy finish w/ round/
smooth/gentle tannins; still a huge fruit/monolithic PS buut probably at its peak; amazing PS. $46.00
slight herbal/earthy some charred/oak slight alcoholic/hot more interesting flavor w/ some smooth tannins;
very long strong blackberry/boysenberry/PS/licorice some charred/oak slight herbal/earthy some tannic
finish; a bit more of the rustic/clunky side of PS than the other two, but also a bit more interesting
and complex; probably near iits peak; beautiful PS. $46.00
euclalyptus slight alcohlic light toasty/oak/charred flavor w/ smooth/ripe tannins; very long/lingering
slight herbal/menthol/eucalyptus very intense blackberry/boysenberry/PS/very spicy light toasty/charred/oak
fairly smooth/lush/ripe finish w/ round/fine-grained tannins; probably near its peak and should go out
another 10 yrs; a stunning huge-fruit PS. $48.00
sweet strong boysenberry/raisened/pruney/overripe bit alcoholic finish w/ little tannins; a pretty classic
overripe LateHrvst Zin that seems to be getting shakey and showing lots of raisened/pruney character. $13.00/hlf
slight cedary/oak flavor w/ little tannins; quite hot/alcoholic rather raisened/overripe/pruney very intense
blackberry/boysenberry/Zin slight cedary/oak finish w/ little tannins; the alcohol is pretty searing but in
better condition than I expected; pricey at $41.00/hlf
their Syrah at HdR. I liked it quite a lot and thought it one of the better (after Lagier-Meredith)
up-Valley Syrah. I'm not a big fan of NapaVlly/up-Valley Syrahs save the L-M. Too many of them
taste like a Syrah made by a Cabernet producer, w/ too much toasty/oak character. The speciality of
Rocca is their Cabs, which I have never tried.
the wines will age forever. Oftentimes, though, as they age the alcohol starts to take over and the
pruney/raisened character comes to the forefront. They're tricky to catch at their peak. But some, like
the Ridges, can go on forever.
Though I think they are starting their downhill slide, they were much better than I expected. I need to order
a mixed case of Consilience/Tre Anelli wines and see where they are these days.
SantaFe.
The JacobFranklin PS from HayneVnyd has always been one of my favorite Calif PS's. When young, it usually
shows much more fruit than most PS. I find that Calif PS can be a bit erratic when they age and that some
of the huge/monolithic PS's remain a beast of a wine throughout their entire life. Though these JacobFranklins
had not developed a lot of complexity, they had shed much of their tannins and come together quite nicely.
The prices reflect a family discount and these Hayne PS's are normally priced about $65.
When it comes to Calif PS; my gold standard remains the Carlisle, JacobFranklin, and Jaffurs for the
intensity of fruit they display. They Ridge YorkCreeks I like as well (the unreleased '07 will be the last
DynamiteHill), but they're different beasts and it's not clear the LyttonSprings vesion will every equal
those legendary YorkCreek bottlings.
Tom