The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lagier-Meredith Mondeuse '10...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Lagier-Meredith Mondeuse '10...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:50 pm

Susan & I tried ystrday:
1. Lagier-Meredith Mondeuse MtVeeder/NapaVlly (40 cs; 14.8%; www.LagierMeredith.com) 2010: Very dark color; quite earthy/dusty/sauvage rather Savoie-like strong blackberry/boysenberry/spicy/Syrah-like light toasty/oak/smokey lovely nose; rather tart strong earthy/dusty/sauvage/slight herbal/forest floot strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah-like some tannic/hard/structured flavor; very long blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah-like some earthy/dusty/forest floor fairly tannic/hard/angular finish; much like the L-M Syrah but not the high-toned/spicy character; a distinct earthy/dusty character much like a Savoie Mondeuse; a terrific Mondeuse that speaks of Calif w/ hints of Savoie; well-priced at $42.
1. I have, of course, followed the L-M Mondeuse from the very start. SteveLagier refers to Mondeuse as Syrahs bastard uncle. MondeuseBlanche and Deureza got together up in the Savoie to produce Syrah, which eventually escaped down into the RhoneVlly, then to Australia and Calif. The rest is, as they say, history.
I assume their Mondeuse plant material came from FPS/Davis, where Mondeuuse was originally mis-identified as Refosco. Mike Officer used to make a Mondeuse, culled from Twackers vnyd, but hasn't done one in almost 10 yrs. I hope others will pick up the Mondeuse grape as well.
Tom
no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:53 pm

San Diego

Re: WTN: Lagier-Meredith Mondeuse '10...(short/boring)

by Mike Pollard » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Carole Meredith can fill in the details but talking with her a month or so ago she did say that the material for their Mondeuse came from vine prunings from Davis.

I didn't take any notes when I tasted the wine with Carole and Steve because I was recovering from a head cold but I did note that the wine had the mouthfeel of a Petite Sirah and Carole agreed. Its a big wine and hopefully will live a long time.

Mike