The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines without scores

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Wines without scores

by Mark S » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Varnier-Fanniere, Champagne, cuvee Saint Denis, brut, NV
Oaky nose with oxidative notes. Yeasty in the mouth, like mild unsweetned lemonade. [disgourgement date 7-22-2007]

Huet, Vouvray, Clos du Bourg, 2002 (demi-sec)
Have always liked this wine and this one is no exception. A little subdued from earlier bottles, this is more along the earthy spectrum rather than fruit, with hazlenut oil, linseed, and bitter roasted carob.

Produttori del Barbaresco, Barbaresco, 2006
Deep and dark, with mulberry, cherry, and licorice, this has shut down considerably from a bottle of 2 years ago, and not as aromatic as I remember. Shunter it away for about 4 more years or so. [L. 9.141]

Cotar, Kras, Vitovska, 2007
A little simple: cidery, bite of apple skin with some lemon-apple-thyme-mint thing going on. A slight heat, like a warm oil sensation. Yes, this is made in the orange style.

Rhys, Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley, Bearwallow Vynd., 2008
I was not in love with this the first go-round, but this bottle seems more integrated than the first, not as hot and better balanced. The dark sweet fruit is still there alright, but it's less dog-kissing sloppy and a little more loamy and peat like. A bit of rose comes through the blackcurrant and mulberry. Still like the SCM vineyards better.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Wines without scores

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks for the notes. I have several of those in the cellar, so data points are always welcome!
Decisions are made by those who show up