The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chateau Boswell Beckstoffer IV Napa Valley Cab 2004-a Great Winery

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Chateau Boswell Beckstoffer IV Napa Valley Cab 2004-a Great Winery

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:18 pm

Funny, funny name. "Chateau Boswell" just makes me giggle a bit.

Another bicycle ride, more beautiful fall colors (it's strange to see some vineyards are now leafless, while across the road the vines are still green), another small producer with an "open" sign at the driveway.

Brand new, baby cab-this small winery's first attempt at non-estate Cab.

This one will be a beauty, in my humble opinion. Given that drinking this now was infanticide-it had been in the bottle five months, basically. Still, the layers of complexity in this lovely Beckstoffer IV Cab, the winemaker said this was their first non-estate cab, suggest this will be a classic. Nice dark, ripe black fruit up front, but wait, this is no simple fruit bomb. Multiple layers of herbal savory goodness on the back of palette. Some American oak was used, so there was just a whisper of "caramel" toasted oak notes-but by no means were they dominant or at all annoying.

A very congenial place, small, tucked away tasting room in the middle of a working winery. The winemaker himself was doing the tastings on a Sunday. If the gentleman who was planning to vist Napa reads this thread, I would add this small winery on northern Silverado Trail (east of Saint Helena) to his "visit" list.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Chateau Boswell Beckstoffer IV Napa Valley Cab 2004-a Great Winery

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:32 pm

Is Beckstoffer IV a particular section of the Beckstoffer vineyard? Thanks for note
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Chateau Boswell Beckstoffer IV Napa Valley Cab 2004-a Great Winery

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:07 pm

My understanding is that yes, it is a particular block of Beckstoffer vineyards. According to the winemaker here, Mr. Beckstoffer owns 12,000 acres, so there are many, many "Beckstoffer vineyards." The "prestigious" pricey ones are the only ones listed on the labels, of course :lol:

I was also incorrect in one note: they use French oak. Maybe that's why the whisper of oak in the palette is not "annoying" because the French tends, I understand, to be a little more subtle.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach