The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Saperavi

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Saperavi

by Saina » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:32 pm

2009 Tbilvino Mukuzani
13% abv; 100% Saperavi from the Mukuzani appellation in Kakheti, Georgia's easternmost province. Tbilvino is a big factory rather than an artisanal project and they have an Australian winemaker so I feared I would get an anonymous oak infused concoction in my glass. But actually it is a nice enough wine though somewhat international in style. It has a slight funky aroma, but mostly it is about sweet, ripe fruit. It has a tiny touch of oak (about a fifth new wood IIRC) but not in amounts that would make me cross. The palate is nicely structured but has attractive fruit which, gladly, isn't at all oversized though the fruit is obviously ripe and sweet. It finishes fresh. Nice! And amazingly it is available in our monopoly for under 15€ - and at Finnish prices this means that I'll have to buy it again!

This was certainly interesting enough that I now want to explore the Saperavi variety. So who makes a less international style? This is probably not a grape that many forumites have much experience with but since even more esoteric questions have been answered here I am sure that someone will be able suggest a few! :D
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.