The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2010 Éric Texier Saint-Julien-en-Saint-Alban Vieille Serine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

2010 Éric Texier Saint-Julien-en-Saint-Alban Vieille Serine

by Salil » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Opened at 2 pm to give it some air. First impression then with a few small sips were that this is a beautiful, pure and fragrant expression of classic North Rhone Syrah.

A few hours later, after it's had some time to breathe, it's utterly jawdropping.

I am awed that a wine with this finesse and sense of seamlessness is still available for around $35. (I can think of very few examples from Côte-Rôtie or other more exalted and more expensive appellations that have this sort of fragrance, purity and elegance.)

Fresh berried fruit framed by a bright high toned florality, savoury earthiness and gentler meaty and saline elements, all conveyed with a delicate touch and amazing finesse on the palate. Bright acids keep it very fresh and lively, and the flavours linger long after each sip. Utterly spectacular wine.

Thanks, Eric.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: 2010 Éric Texier Saint-Julien-en-Saint-Alban Vieille Serine

by Tim York » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:31 am

It's a constant frustration reading TNs like this that Éric's wines don't seem to be available in Belgium :( . Is that because his négociant status is seen as a turn-off by cavistes?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Eric Texier

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:01 am

by Eric Texier » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:52 am

Thanks for the kind words, Salil.

I am very pleased to see that my second shot at the Saint Julien en Saint Alban terroir is not too far from the target...
Like I already explain, I think that I picked the 2009 grapes a little too late, by ignorance of the terroir, lack of experience and reference (no-one has made any wine in SJSA for the past 30 years...).
But the '09 was so well recieved that I was really worried that a lot of people will see it as a benchmark for this wine ( exactly like '09 bojos were THE vintage that revealed Beaujolais to a lot of CA pinot drinkers who are really dissapointed now with the fantastic 2010s).
2009 is a very early and sunny vintage, that I have seen only twice in the northern rhone in the past 15 years. So 2010 is the first "normal" vintage I have to deal with.
If SJSA is definitely a more gentle and civilized syrah than the Brézème, the plush, soft character of the 2009 is probably more a vintage thing than a terroir thing. IMO.

I'd say that 2010 is, for now, my own benchmark.

Tom,

Wijnfolie is my distributor in Belgium. I'll be there Nov 17-19! And yes, like in France, they see me as a négociant because 5000 bottles out of my total production of 75 000 is made from purchased grapes...
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:38 pm

Eric Texier wrote:Wijnfolie is my distributor in Belgium. I'll be there Nov 17-19! And yes, like in France, they see me as a négociant because 5000 bottles out of my total production of 75 000 is made from purchased grapes...

I'll try to make it there. It's near Ghent, I think.
Tim York