WTN: He's not dead Jim...somare

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: He's not dead Jim...somare

Postby David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:29 am

1970 Ridge Zinfandel Jimsomare
Blind tasted at Spencer's last night, this was more than a little puzzling. Initially there was a mustiness that seemed corky, but turned out just to be bottle funk. Once that blew off there was this very bright red fruit, a mushroomy quality and ultimately some herbs as well. Interesting! On the palate things were a little more funky. The red fruit and herbs were still there, but they were very spiky, almost volatile. The acids were incredibly bright, and the age of the wine (in retrospect) showed in the finishing alcoholic burn, as there just was not enough stuffing left to cover up the 15.8% alcohol (per the revealed label). Still this was a fascinating experience, if not the most successful showing for a bottle of wine.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Holy $hit...

Postby TomHill » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:22 am

David M. Bueker wrote:1970 Ridge Zinfandel Jimsomare
Blind tasted at Spencer's last night, this was more than a little puzzling. Initially there was a mustiness that seemed corky, but turned out just to be bottle funk. Once that blew off there was this very bright red fruit, a mushroomy quality and ultimately some herbs as well. Interesting! On the palate things were a little more funky. The red fruit and herbs were still there, but they were very spiky, almost volatile. The acids were incredibly bright, and the age of the wine (in retrospect) showed in the finishing alcoholic burn, as there just was not enough stuffing left to cover up the 15.8% alcohol (per the revealed label). Still this was a fascinating experience, if not the most successful showing for a bottle of wine.

Holy $hit, David...'70 Ridge Jimsomare. It, like me, was a legend in its time. It sounds, unlike me, that it's still alive & kicking.
I last had this wine about '96 and it still was doing pretty good. Sounds like it's still clinging to life here. Like most 15%+ Zins,
when they get old the alcohol comes to the forefront. And oftentimes they show a lot of raisened/pruney character. But the
acid on this wine (no RS as I recall) is probably what saved it.
Thanks for the TN on an old friend here.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start

Re: WTN: He's not dead Jim...somare

Postby James Dietz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Oldest Jimsomare Zin I have is now the 1986. And according to CT, I have the only bottle in (CT) existence!! Not sure if that is good or bad.

I had the 1970 from both a 750 and a mag a couple of years back in a vertical tasting at the White House (no, not THE White House). The mag was still showing quite well.
Cheers, Jim
James Dietz
Wine guru

Re: WTN: He's not dead Jim...somare

Postby Patrick Martin » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:56 pm

Ridge is the king. Long live the king (as they are so long lived)!

That said, my only 70's Ridge wines have been petite sirah, which seem capable of going another 30 years...
Patrick Martin
Ultra geek

Return to The Wine Forum