The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Thackray Pleides XIII

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Thackray Pleides XIII

by Jenise » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:49 pm

Found this in the cellar the other day, had no idea I had any of these left. I don't quite recall which approximate average vintage this relates to(Pleides is always a multi-vintage blend), but my best guess is 2002-2003

Light to medium burnished red color. Beautiful aromatic nose, which was the hallmark of this wine all along, but timid on the palate and somewhat green at first. And just about the point where I was prepared to chuck it, it suddenly opened up. No tannins left to speak of, but enough acidity to keep the warm leathery strawberry fruit interesting and seductive through the end of the bottle. Nice!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Thackray Pleides XIII

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Seems like something around 2002 or so. Glad to see it had some staying power.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:33 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Seems like something around 2002 or so. Glad to see it had some staying power.

Yup, made me happy. Always like this wine, though I can't say I've found any two of the 5 or 6 vintages I've bought in the last ten years even remotely alike. I have 9 or 10 bottles of the latest vintage on it's way now, but no idea of course what to expect. Regardless, it's a no brainer every day wine for us when I can pick it up at $13ish (vs. the $27 it runs at local retail).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 pm

I would back up the truck at $13.
Decisions are made by those who show up