The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Revisiting Lambertskirch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Trier, Germany

Revisiting Lambertskirch

by Lars Carlberg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:49 am

For Saar and Peter Lauer fans, I posted a short article on my site titled "Revisiting Lambertskirch."

On Monday, I spoke with Carl von Schubert of Maximin Grünhaus in the Ruwer Valley. He said that the Riesling harvest should start around mid-October.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Revisiting Lambertskirch

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:18 am

I googled Lambertskirch and there are some interesting stories about local churches in the area. Nice.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:58 am

Lars Carlberg wrote:
On Monday, I spoke with Carl von Schubert of Maximin Grünhaus in the Ruwer Valley. He said that the Riesling harvest should start around mid-October.

What are the quality expectations at this stage? Over the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of rain heading the Mosel way on the weather radar.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:36 pm

Tim York wrote:
Lars Carlberg wrote:

What are the quality expectations at this stage? Over the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of rain heading the Mosel way on the weather radar.

Tim: The outlook is good for those Mosel grape-growers who have healthy bunches (no peronospora) and controlled yields, despite some recent rain and cooler temperatures. We've had plenty of sunny weather for much of September, even if the forecast has more rain. Frost is the main concern. That would stop further ripening. Yesterday, I spoke with Erich Weber at Hofgut Falkenstein in the Saar region. And I visited him this evening. He picked some Spätburgunder, and he expects to harvest Riesling around October 23. His best parcels have about 80° Oechsle. He describes the grapes as "fleshy" and "thick-skinned" and even expects to make his first Kabinett (trocken) in many years. He avoids declassifying Prädikate.
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:50 am

After all the rain, the weather has been quite nice with sunshine and mild temperatures in the Mosel region. The forecast looks good too. Some growers have started to harvest their Riesling grapes. Yields will be low owing to flowering along with peronospora.
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:36 am

On this gorgeous Sunday morning, a friend and I visited Maximin Grünhaus and Karthäuserhof in the Ruwer Valley. The latter had a small group picking mid-slope in one parcel. At Grünhaus, we walked by Bruderberg, Abtsberg, and drove up the long road to the most western flank of Herrenberg. The grapes look good and taste ripe. Afterwards, we drove to the Saar to see Hofgut Falkenstein (whose wines I represent). It's warm today. The Webers were harvesting their first Riesling grapes from a small plot below their home in Niedermenniger Herrenberg. The healthy grape bunches were measured at about 88° Oechsle. The forecast is for more sun. They plan to pick again around Thursday or so.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:21 am

88 degrees oechsle seems almost reasonable. So often lately the first grapes have come in north of 95!

Not to mention that October 20th or so for first Riesling seems late by recent years. Not sure if that's true or just my perception.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:43 am

David M. Bueker wrote:88 degrees oechsle seems almost reasonable. So often lately the first grapes have come in north of 95!

Not to mention that October 20th or so for first Riesling seems late by recent years. Not sure if that's true or just my perception.

Yes, it seems quite reasonable and the start of harvesting will be relatively late in contrast with recent vintages. The Webers at Hofgut Falkenstein seemed even a little disappointed that they might have only a few parcels above 95° Oechsle this year. I'll need, though, to speak with different producers in the various districts, but the Webers say it'll be a Kabi vintage for them (despite being plus 80° Oechsle). In other words, the wines will be light, regardless if they're labeled Kabinett or not. Of course, Piesport has higher ripeness and lower acidity levels than Konzer Tälchen. In addition, some grape-growers had problems with peronospora.
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:59 pm

Yields look to be considerably low, similar to 2010. According to Heinz Welter of Später-Veit, he has nothing below 86° Oechsle, most grapes are considerably riper. Acidity levels are high, mostly tartaric instead of malic acid.