The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Steve Tanzer's Ratings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Steve Tanzer's Ratings

by Jenise » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:50 pm

Of all the critics, I probably Steve Tanzer's ratings the most useful of all. He tends to mention the descriptors that most clearly indicate, both pro and con, whether or not a given wine is made in the style I like. So my question implies no criticism of him whatsoever, but I'm wondering about his point ratings.

Just now, looking for sources of four or five wines I am interesting in purchasing, coincidentally the sites I was looking at all listed both Parker and Tanzer ratings. And as is almost always the case, although Tanzer's praise seems to be as high his points are about three below Parker's. And it occurred to me that I've reflexively come to think that a Tanzer 91 is the equivalent of a Parker 94-95. Thinking a little further about that, it occurs to me that I've very rarely seen Tanzer points in the 95+ range, and perhaps never seen Tanzer points higher than 97.

Let alone 98, 99 or 100. Can anyone mention any wines Tanzer has given those kind of points to? Has he ever given 100?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Steve Tanzer's Ratings

by Randy Buckner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:53 pm

You seem to have a thing about high ratings. There is already far too much grade inflation IMHO. Do you really believe a wine can obtain perfection? Ask and you shall receive -- From Tanzer:

E. GUIGAL, Cote Rotie La Mouline 1978 99
TREVOR JONES, Liqueur Tokay Barossa Valle 1996 98
DOMAINE ZIND HUMBRECHT, Tokay-Pinot Gris Rangen Clos St. Urbain Sel.De Grains Nobles 1998 98-100
KRUG, Clos Du Mesnil 1985 98
BRUNO GIACOSA, Barolo Falletto Di Serralunga Riserva 1996 98(+?)
DOMAINE J. L. CHAVE, Hermitage Cuvee Cathelin 1990 98(+?)
KRUG, Brut Rose NV 98
DOMAINE ZIND HUMBRECHT, Tokay-Pinot Gris Clos Windsbuhl Selection De Grains Nobles 2001 98
DOMAINE WEINBACH, Riesling Schlossberg Quintessence De Grains Nobles 2001 98
DOMAINE J. L. CHAVE, Hermitage Cuvee Cathelin 1998 98(+?)
DOMAINE LEROY, Chambertin 2002 98
CHAMBERS ROSEWOOD WINERY, Rutherglen Rare Tokay NV 98
CHATEAU MARGAUX, Margaux 2000 98
CHATEAU TROTANOY, Pomerol 1961 98
CHATEAU PETRUS, Pomerol 1961 98
CHATEAU PALMER, Margaux 1961 98
CHATEAU MARGAUX, Margaux 1990 98
CHATEAU LATOUR, Pauillac 1990 98
CHATEAU LAFLEUR, Pomerol 1982 98
SINE QUA NON, Boots Pasties Scanty-Panties And A Ten-Gallon Hat White Wine California 2003 98
PENFOLDS WINES, Cabernet Sauvignon Kalimna Vineyard Block 42 2004 98
WEINGUT KELLER, Monsheimer Silberberg Rieslaner Trockenbeerenauslese Gold Capsule 2004 98
HERMANN DONNHOFF, Oberhauser Brucke Riesling Eiswein Gold Capsule Dienstag 2004 98
DOMAINE J. L. CHAVE, Hermitage Cuvee Cathelin 2003 98-100
DOMAINE J. L. CHAVE, Hermitage 2003 98
HARLAN ESTATE, Proprietary Red Wine 2002 98(+?)
BRUNO GIACOSA, Barolo Falletto Di Serralunga Riserva 2000 98
E. GUIGAL, Cote Rotie La Mouline 1988 98
LEROY D'AUVENAY, Chevalier Montrachet 2002 98
DOMAINE MARCEL DEISS, Riesling Schoenenbourg 2001 98
DOMAINE WEINBACH, Gewurztraminer Furstentum Quintessence De Grains Nobles 2001 98
DOMAINE ZIND HUMBRECHT, Tokay-Pinot Gris Clos Jebsal Selection De Grains Nobles 2001 98
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:18 pm

Jenise... I also think Parker is often an `enthusiastic' grader. I do think he has a good palate in general, and I trust him, or at least believe his numbers, for those wines likely to age, particularly Bordeaux and Rhones. I also kind of view Parker's ratings as I do my own rating system.. they are more a ranking system than an `absolute' judgment.

For some other wines, esp. Aussie wines, I think he gets a wee bit carried away by his exuberance. And grades too high as a consequence. In general, I have come to think he is a relatively easy grader.

I find my own scores are closer to CellarTracker scores more often than to either Tanzer or Parker ratings.
Last edited by James Dietz on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:22 pm

Tanzer has never given a 100 in print to a young wine. Apparently he has done so at tasting events with older wines (I believe he said as much during his Grape Radio interview).

I like Tanzer, as he seems more level-headed and even-handed. He can give great reviews to fruit bombs while simultaneously showing great appreciation for the subtle side of wine.

And two things:

1. Bucko! Good to see ya! Been out on the campaign trail?

2. German reviews in Tanzer's mag were done by David Schildknecht, and now by Joel Payne, so the Donnhoff review was not Tanzer's.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:28 pm

*I* have a thing for high ratings? Surely you jest. I have 1500 bottles in my cellar and I probably know a rating for about ten of them. I think you misunderstood my question and are reading some ulterior motive beyond what I said into it. Believe me, there's none there--I buy what I like, and the wines I like rarely get high ratings. But I'm not blind--I do take ratings into consideration when I am looking at wines I'm unfamiliar with and I'll read them if they're there. Sometimes, that's the only information available.

And today when I was looking at something it dawned on me that I'd never seen a high score from Tanzer. Surely if I paid as much attention to ratings as you think I do, that would not be the case. Thanks for the list though, it's interesting reading.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:43 pm

he can give great reviews to fruit bombs

David, that's why I like Tanzer. He seems to evaluate how well the wine's made and doesn't ding particular styles, and yet you can nearly always tell the style from his notes. Didn't know he didn't give 100 pts to young wines, makes a lot of sense.

Jim, I hadn't looked at it that way but that would be true.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:45 pm

There are rare cases when Tanzer will rate a wine much higher than Parker. The 1995 Muga Prado Enea that Dale just wrote up a TN about was scored 95 points by Tanzer. I think Parker probably gave it an 89 or 90.

I too like Tanzer and will pay attention to his notes if they are hanging around. The thing is, for cellaring wines I mostly buy the same producers from each region; as such, pro reviews are kind of pointless for me, other than to snag a good QPR or to compare for curiosity’s sake (as you are doing).

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:45 pm

Jenise wrote:*I* have a thing for high ratings?

Lemming! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:46 pm

Jenise wrote:*I* have a thing for high ratings? Surely you jest. I have 1500 bottles in my cellar and I probably know a rating for about ten of them. (squirm, wiggle) I think you misunderstood my question and are reading some ulterior motive beyond what I said into it. (squirm, wiggle) Believe me, there's none there--I buy what I like, and the wines I like rarely get high ratings. (wiggle, wiggle, wiggle) But I'm not blind--I do take ratings into consideration when I am looking at wines I'm unfamiliar with and I'll read them if they're there. Sometimes, that's the only information available. (set the hook) Thanks for the list though, it's interesting reading.

Well that was easy! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:51 pm

JoePerry wrote:
Jenise wrote:*I* have a thing for high ratings?

Lemming! :twisted:

Yup, that's me! Cheep! Cheep!

Bucko, you dirty rat, I wanna see your fishing license....