The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 98 Sori Paitin, 05 Haag, NV Larmandier, 02 Mayr Lagrein, 05 Languedoc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: 98 Sori Paitin, 05 Haag, NV Larmandier, 02 Mayr Lagrein, 05 Languedoc

by Marc D » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:37 pm

Some wines from this past week.

1998 Paitin di Pasquero-Elia Barbaresco Sori Paitin

The nose had some classic aromas of tart cherry, cedar, tobacco leaf, and rose petals. There was also an off putting subtle volatile chemical odor that I had trouble getting past. The wine has good amount of sour cherry, earth, and lots of acid and tongue coating tannins. The rest of the tasters liked it more than me. I think also this is still too young at this point. The wine was a good match with potato gnocchi with mushrooms.

A glass leftover the next day was much better. The high toned chemical odor was gone, the structure had softened considerably and the nose was full of dried roses and red cherry, the good aromas were more focused. A little of the cedar remained too.

2005 Mas Saint Joseph Costières-de-Nîmes Les Cypres Languedoc Roussillon

My third or fourth bottle of this wine and all have been good. It seems a bit more complex than the average solid drinkable QPR from Languedoc. Black and red berry fruit, light garrigue and this bottle had a little barnyard I didn't notice in previous ones. No oak flavors. Medium structure and very easy drinking. This bottle had a bit more dimension than earlier ones, and will probably improve a little over the short term. $10.

N.V. Larmandier-Bernier Champagne Brut 1er Cru Blanc de Blancs

This has a crushed oyster shell nose, fine mousse, very dry and almost austere. The sharpness in the mouth was tamed a little with a triple cream brie. A tightly coiled sparkler.

There was about a glass and a half left the next day that still had lively bubbles. The nose still shows that outstanding oyster shell minerality, but now the wine is not as taut and is showing a little fruit, something like under ripe pineapple and green apple. This will definitely benefit from cellar time.

2005 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Kabinett

Lots of slate and crushed stone, some grapefruit in the nose. Petillant, with crisp pear fruit, good acidity. It has some sweetness, but also an airy quality. We enjoyed it with curried butternut squash soup, a recipe posted by Traci on the old FLDG. Screw cap! This was better the next day also.

2002 Heinrich Mayr-Nusser Lagrein Alto Adige - Südtirol Riserva

Grapey and primary aromas initially, than some green herbal aromas develop. Medium bodied, very pure fruit with supple tannins and some pepper spice to the finish. This grew on me as it aired out. Very good. The price is up to $20, I think I bought the 2001 for $16.

Best,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 98 Sori Paitin, 05 Haag, NV Larmandier, 02 Mayr Lagrein, 05 Languedoc

by Jenise » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:49 pm

Marc, thanks for the notes. Have you by any chance had the 95 Sori Paitin? I've got a bottle and am presuming I should age it further, but I really don't know.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:59 pm

Haven't tried the 1995. I really didn't like the 1998 the first night, but it was so much improved the second day I think it is too young to judge right now.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:34 pm

Marc
Another 98 Barbaresco/Barolo that is very tannic and tight at the moment. It does seem a feature of the vintage and I think we might have to wait a while for them to soften (but I personally think they will).
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:43 pm

Hi Ian
A bottle of the 1998 G Cortese Barbaresco Rabaja was really drinking well not too long ago and not nearly as tight as the Sori Paitin. I can't think of any others I've tried recently.