The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: wines with shellfish

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: wines with shellfish

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:30 pm

Our friends Annabelle and Marc had us and another couple over last night for shellfish. We shucked about 3 dz Bluepoint oysters and a similar number of clams (a neighbor who shucks at a raw bar gave us a quick lesson), and had a great dinner of raw bivalves, squash soup, bread, and cheese. Convivial group, and some wines:

NV De Meric "Grand Reserve" Champagne
Heavy toast notes, a more ponderous style of Champagne. Heavy and a little dull. Others liked more than I, I prefer the lighter styles of Champagne myself. B-/C+

2005 Pepiere Muscadet
A delight, as always. Saline and sprightly, precise lemon fruit peering through the minerality. B+, A for value.

1995 J.M. Boillot "Gresigny" Rully 1er
Another in my mixed case of possibly over the hill wines. Low expectations for 11 year old Rully. Green apple fruit under a layer of toasted biscuits, warm and fullbodied for its level. A tiny nutty oxidative note, and a little short on the finish. This is a bit tired and probably better 3-4 years ago (or 8), but certainly still can provide some pleasure. B/B-

There was also an inexpensive 2001 Pr. Cotes de Bordeaux, but corked beyond belief.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.