The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Brander Bouchet Tete de Cuvee 1990...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Brander Bouchet Tete de Cuvee 1990...

by TomHill » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:30 pm

Tried this last night w/ leftovers:
1. Brander Bouchet Tete de Cuvee SantaYnezVlly TW (70% CabSauv, 16% CabFranc, 14% Merlot) 1990: Very dark slightly murky color w/ light bricking; very interesting herbal/dusty rather Bdx-like minerally/carbon arc/WWII beacon some toasty/cedary/smokey/oak complex nose; bit tart smooth/rounded rather dusty somewhat herbal/Bdx-like cedary/pencilly/smokey/toasty/oak complex tannic/bit dried-out flavor; very long herbal/Bdx-like dusty rather toasty/smokey/oak some tannic/dried-out complex finish; still very much alive and lots of red Bdx character; very interesting and tasty Cab.
1. SantaYnezVlly Cab has a reputation for producing very herbaceous and unlikable Cabs. I think, by and large, this is a bad rap. I've found plenty of Cabs from both Babcock and Brander and VitaNova that I've liked a lot. Indeed, they often have an herbaceous component that reminds me a lot of red Bordeaux, back afore concentrators were in vogue and the more Calif in style the Bdx is made, the better. True, the SYV Cabs don't taste much like Napa Cabernet, but not so sure that's a bad thing. I'd much rather spend $30 and get a SYV Cab that has some interest than $100+ for a Napa Cab that is just like any other $200+ Napa Cab.
This '90 Brander was one of the best SYV Cabs I've yet had. Kudos to Fred Brander for swimming against the trend and believing great Cab can be made in the SNV. And his SauvBlancs are certainly nothing to snivel at.
TomHill
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Brander Bouchet Tete de Cuvee 1990...

by Jenise » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:37 pm

I love reading notes like this, it encourages one to take a chance. Tell me, I know you have a very large cellar, did you age this one deliberately or did it just get lost for awhile.

Oh, and I love Brander Sauv Blancs. They're one of that area's true treasures.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

by TomHill » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:42 pm

Jenise,
I obviously bought it about 1992 after trying it and thinking it had some potential for aging...but I've long forgotten the details. It kinda got lost out there and I just stumbled across it last night after the Ravenswood Dickerson Zin '94 was a klunker.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:46 pm

Well, you have what we all aspire to, Tom: enough wine that some gems "get lost out there".
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:49 pm

Oh, I meant to add that I'm sending your note to some friends who don't read on line. They live just outside the SYV and, since they rely on the Spectator for all their wine advice, they don't have the value of other people's real life experience to help them evaluate the wines around them for aging potential. This will be encouraging.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:53 pm

Jenise wrote:

Oh, and I love Brander Sauv Blancs. They're one of that area's true treasures.

Agree completely. Some of the most interesting white wines made in the state, in my opinion.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:55 pm

TomHill wrote:__________________________
A wee bloody pulpit:
1. SantaYnezVlly Cab has a reputation for producing very herbaceous and unlikable Cabs. I think, by and large, this is a bad rap. I've found plenty of Cabs from both Babcock and Brander and VitaNova that I've liked a lot. Indeed, they often have an herbaceous component that reminds me a lot of red Bordeaux, back afore concentrators were in vogue and the more Calif in style the Bdx is made, the better. True, the SYV Cabs don't taste much like Napa Cabernet, but not so sure that's a bad thing. I'd much rather spend $30 and get a SYV Cab that has some interest than $100+ for a Napa Cab that is just like any other $200+ Napa Cab.
This '90 Brander was one of the best SYV Cabs I've yet had. Kudos to Fred Brander for swimming against the trend and believing great Cab can be made in the SNV. And his SauvBlancs are certainly nothing to snivel at.
TomHill

Tom,

I think some of the best wines made in Santa Barbara County are made from Cabernet Franc. I think it's more consistently good than Pinot.

When did any hint of greenness become a flaw? Have any of these critics ever tasted a Chinon?

best,

Oliver
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines