The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sly Fox

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

WTN: Sly Fox

by James Roscoe » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:51 pm

It's amazing what you can find when you aren't looking. I went to the cellar to see if I had any syrah to puor with some rare roast beef, mashed potatoes and peas. I did, but it was all stuff that I was not willing to drink early. My eyes fell upon a cabernet franc from Virginia that I purcased during a tour of some vineyards in the summer of 2005. I had just rearanged my extremely modest collection in anticipation of an order from Calvert-Woodley that is meant to include some nice reds from the Loire Valley. I decided this was taking up needed pace.

The wine was Three Fox Vinyards 2002 Cabernet Franc. Apperently the fruit came from Barboursville which is an excellent vineyard outside of Charlottesville. This vinyard is in Northern Virginia. It has nice rasberry and blackberry notes with a lot of chocolate and mocha on the finish. There is also some spice I can't really identify. It's gotten a lot better over the last hour or so as it's been in the glass. I probably paid $18 - $20 for it in 2005. I would certainly buy it again at that price. It was great with the food. I can't wait for the Loire Valley reds to come in to compare them.[/b]
Last edited by James Roscoe on Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: Sly Fox

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:27 am

Thanks for the note, James. I'll keep an eye open. I'm eager to visit Barboursville--they're owned by Zonin, IIRC, and do a fair amount of work with Italian varieties.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Sly Fox

by James Roscoe » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:16 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:Thanks for the note, James. I'll keep an eye open. I'm eager to visit Barboursville--they're owned by Zonin, IIRC, and do a fair amount of work with Italian varieties.

Clinton, try the nebbiolo. It's really great. At $32 it's not unreasonable for how good it is. It has the stuffing for 10 - 12 years too. You should get down there this winter when it's not too crowded.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.