The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Marty’s Extravaganza (and the sad state of OZ Semillon)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Marty’s Extravaganza (and the sad state of OZ Semillon)

by JoePerry » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:53 pm

This past weekend I attended the Marty’s Grand Food and Wine Extravaganza in Newton Massachusetts. The billing promised:

“Come taste nearly a hundred wines from all over the world! Enjoy terrific gourmet food, smoked salmon, artisanal cheeses, handmade chocolates, and the creations of Tempo Bistro!
Featuring Chateau D'Yquem, Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Dom Perignon Champagne, Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon and many, many others!”

Knowing that the place would be mobbed with pasty wine geeks and winos looking for a free buzz, I arrived thirty minutes prior to the tasting to stake out the best tables. Despite the relatively smaller size, Marty’s of Newton is the Mecca of Boston wine purchasing. It was this size constraint that made my early arrival essential in figuring out where the hell everything was. Around the store, hastily constructed card tables and 4-foot utility tables were filling any nook or crawlspace available. Handouts of the table’s contents were available, but their location remained a mystery. Table 1 sat next to table 10. Table 7 was halfway across the store from 5,6 and 8. Wherever you thought the table should be, it wasn’t. Similarly confusing was the location of the food - the smoked salmon beside the Aussie reds, the Foie Gras at the Italian red table far from the Yquem. But, I digress. I was happy that Marty‘s could throw this free gala, and the confusing placement of the tables only furthered the advantage I got from arriving early. Once the wine began flowing, the store filled with a mixture of blue-haired dames singing for heavy pours of anything alcoholic, and shifty-eyed wine geeks juggling pads, pens, stems and cheese samples as they single-mindedly plowed through lines to cherry pick the best. Amy was shoved by one such wine geek in line, and announced that she would wait in the car for the duration of the tasting. I briefly debated whether defending Amy’s honor was the right thing to do, but decided that tasting more NV Champagne was the correct choice. I tried to taste fairly, choosing the good or “interesting” bottles and only skipping those which were likely to be predictable. The 1998 Dom was nice, though not comparable to the 1996. The NV Moet Rose was fine, but priced based on name rather than quality. The Terry Theise table had the best selection of the day - grower Champagnes, Leitz Dragonstone, Hexamer, Donnhoff and Y’quem among others. It was just a pity that the man pouring these wines was a dick. I, of course, understand how it must be to have a half dozen stems greedily thrust at your face, but if there is a genuine interest in one of the wines along with well-meaning comments, at least display some desire to answer questions (or even return the tone). For example, if someone asks the dosage and blend of a Taillet Champagne, rather than shove a meaningless photocopied Wine Spectator review in their face, why not attempt to answer? I don’t need to read the Spec review - I just tasted the wine, I know what it tastes like. Anyway, the problem I had with many of the NV Champagne that were being poured (and there were quite a few), was that the starting price is now $50 for these wines. With so many bottles priced at the same bracket, I need to be shown something noticeably different before being moved to buy… simply being a solid NV Champagne is no longer enough.

Of the other wines on the Theise table, the basic QBA Donnhoff was nice. The Hexamer Quartzit was soda-sweet, but fun. The 2002 big “Y”, was actually surprisingly restrained for Yquem… less botrytis and intensity, which allowed some interesting secondary notes to show through even this young. Not an Yquem for the long haul, but if you’ve got the means, not a Yquem to skip without consideration, either. It is worthy to mention that I found the 1997 Mouton Rothschild alarmingly drinkable, which further confirms my enjoyment of poor vintage Bordeaux that doesn’t taste like Bordeaux.

Of the rest of the wines I tasted, many were poor, some were drinkable, and most were overpriced. Even with the promise of 25% off a mixed case, you’re going to have a hard time selling me a modest sin-Crianza from Bierzo for 19.99. In truth, the drawback of these large public free tastings (at any venue) is that most of the tables are pouring wines that can’t sell themselves. Despite the variable quality of what was poured, the food provided by Tempo Bistro was phenomenal, easily the best I’ve had at any large-scale tasting. Kudos to Marty's for getting them involved.

After an hour, the store became really overcrowded, like a sack with a few too many potatoes. I picked up two wines for purchase - neither being bottles that were poured. One was a half bottle of 2002 Strub Niersteiner Brückchen Kabinett on clearance for $5, and the other was a bottle of 1994 Tyrrell’s Vat 1 Semillon on clearance from $54 to $39.99. The latter bottle I grabbed as a curiosity, having heard the Aussies tout the greatness of this wine repeatedly. Upon having the wines scanned by the register, the Tyrrell’s came up as an even $10. Seeing the error, the clerk called over Marty, who in turn called over the store manager to figure out the problem. None of them had an answer, so I chirped “It’s Australian Semillon - a wine store paperweight”, they looked at me, paused, and agreed. A sad day for Australian wine, but a good day for my wallet (though I stopped and purchased a bottle of 2001 Beaucastel Blanc on the ride home…).

Best,
Joe
Last edited by JoePerry on Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: Marty’s Extravaganza (and the sad state of OZ Semillon)

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:12 pm

Thanks for confirming my decision to skip the event. The clearance rack is always fun though.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:29 pm

Well a stunningly great price for the semillon and according to Jeremy Oliver, just coming into an extended drinking window (2006-2014 he reckons). Personally I love the style, but we don't see too many over on these shores. Indeed when it does we have the same problem as you, in that it's no longer a bargain (apart from this instance).

Hope you enjoy it

Ian
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:43 pm

Joe,
I'm shocked...shocked! that you chose to drink wine rather than defend Amy's honor, though it's a sign of moral growth that you recognized it as a decision node. As you know, one can see Marty's from our house, and I regret that she didn't flee there, where Glenna would have poured her some wine without her being jostled.
I stopped by Marty's at about 5:45 on my way from another also crowded but sounds-like-less-crazy venue. Things were closing up. I Just tasted a few things still open at the Thiese table, but the trip was made worthwhile by scoring printed 2006 Theise catalogues so I don't have to use the awkward pdf's. I really liked the vinosity of the NV Chartogne-Taillet.
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:49 pm

At a grand dinner earlier this year to celebrate a birthday, a friend had a case of the 94 Vat 1, of which I sampled a number of bottles over the course of the night. Bloody marvellous stuff. Joe, I hope your bottle's in good nick - the wine is eminently drinkale now but should last another 10 years easy.
If this bottle's any good, offer 'em $15ea for their remaining stock...
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:14 pm

Charles Weiss wrote:Joe,
I'm shocked...shocked! that you chose to drink wine rather than defend Amy's honor, though it's a sign of moral growth that you recognized it as a decision node. As you know, one can see Marty's from our house, and I regret that she didn't flee there, where Glenna would have poured her some wine without her being jostled.
I stopped by Marty's at about 5:45 on my way from another also crowded but sounds-like-less-crazy venue. Things were closing up. I Just tasted a few things still open at the Thiese table, but the trip was made worthwhile by scoring printed 2006 Theise catalogues so I don't have to use the awkward pdf's. I really liked the vinosity of the NV Chartogne-Taillet.
Charles

Amy needs to learn that, like Sand People, wine geeks scare easily. One good growl and they will scurry away leaving their milk money behind.

Actually, I enjoyed the Lenoble Champagnes more (table 10). The service might have had something to do with it, as the pourer was well-informed and actually seemed interested in her wines.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:16 pm

JoePerry wrote:Amy needs to learn that, like Sand People, wine geeks scare easily. One good growl and they will scurry away leaving their milk money behind.

But they will soon be back, and in greater numbers.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:16 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Well a stunningly great price for the semillon and according to Jeremy Oliver, just coming into an extended drinking window (2006-2014 he reckons). Personally I love the style, but we don't see too many over on these shores. Indeed when it does we have the same problem as you, in that it's no longer a bargain (apart from this instance).

Hope you enjoy it

Ian

Thanks, Ian, I look forward to trying it, as my friends know, I have a weakness for weird white wines. In fact, I may need to host the second annual wacky white night soon...

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:18 pm

Graeme Gee wrote:At a grand dinner earlier this year to celebrate a birthday, a friend had a case of the 94 Vat 1, of which I sampled a number of bottles over the course of the night. Bloody marvellous stuff. Joe, I hope your bottle's in good nick - the wine is eminently drinkale now but should last another 10 years easy.
If this bottle's any good, offer 'em $15ea for their remaining stock...
cheers,
Graeme

Thanks for the inside word, Graeme! This was the last bottle on the clearance rack, and I didn't want to press my luck by asking after any additional bottles in the basement.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
JoePerry wrote:Amy needs to learn that, like Sand People, wine geeks scare easily. One good growl and they will scurry away leaving their milk money behind.

But they will soon be back, and in greater numbers.

How far can you toss a brick of Pâté?