The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: C.I.A.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: C.I.A.

by Florida Jim » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:51 am

California, Italy, Austria:

1995 Snowden, Cabernet Sauvignon:
14.5% alcohol shows in volume but not with heat; black, big-assed CA wine with huge fruit aromas and flavors in the blackberry/blueberry/black currant register, big tannins, moderate oak, dense but disjointed, good acids; a raw, young wine that needs another ten years in the cellar. Not for me but has promise for those who enjoy this style. ‘Needs powerfully flavored food. $45 on release; I’d not buy it again.

2001 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba:
Singing! Redolent nose of dried roses, cherries, light tar and mineral accents; expansive on the palate with flavors that echo the nose but do it in layers of complexity and ripe fruit; intense, moderately concentrated, good grip, clean and has good length (slightly drying). No, it isn’t Barbaresco but it certainly is a superb rendition of nebbiolo and its ready now (although I’m sure it will last). About $20; I’d buy many cases at that price. (So much better now than bottles tried last year; and those were very good, indeed.)

2001 Hirtzberger, Riesling Singerriedel:
Solid, concentrated riesling with little to distinguish it. I assume this is closed down; if not, this doesn’t measure up to the maker and dirt from which it comes. Tasted over 24 hours. About $47 wholesale; I’d not buy it again at that price. (The second time I have tasted this in the last 6 months and it’s was similarly unimpressive on both occasions.)

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: C.I.A.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:34 am

Jim, I was just as unimpressed with an `05 from this winery? I know youthful but what`s up here?
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:12 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Jim, I was just as unimpressed with an `05 from this winery? I know youthful but what`s up here?

Which winery?
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:43 am

Florida Jim wrote: 2001 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba:
Singing! . . . . (So much better now than bottles tried last year; and those were very good, indeed.)

Jim, am I correct in assuming that this is a different bottling than the "Valmaggiore" (or something like that) which you've posted glowing WTNs on previously?
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:18 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:
Florida Jim wrote: 2001 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba:
Singing! . . . . (So much better now than bottles tried last year; and those were very good, indeed.)

Jim, am I correct in assuming that this is a different bottling than the "Valmaggiore" (or something like that) which you've posted glowing WTNs on previously?

You are correct.
Of course, Giacosa's labels are some of the most difficult to decipher in the business; one really has to search for all the relevant words.
This note is not on his Valmaggiore bottling but rather his regular NdA bottling.
But both are certainly very good wines.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars