The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Something special

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Something special

by Florida Jim » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:11 pm

With Diane’s Cesar salad with grilled chicken:
2004 A. et P. de Villaine, Bourgogne Les Clous:
The website says that this is from old vines grown on mostly limestone on a south facing slope and should be aged a minimum of 5-7 years; vin de garde is the term they use; the label reports that its from the Côte Chalonnaise and that its 12.5% alcohol; the price tag notes that it costs about $20; and, I can tell you that this is the most impressive non-Chablis chardonnay I have had in a very long time; wonderful chardonnay, citrus and mineral scents; lovely, mid-weight but very intense and clear chardonnay fruit on the palate with terrific cut, a wonderful sense of the earth and tightly wrapped layers of flavor; excellent length and minerality on the finish. This is one of the times when I believe the maker; let it sit. There is an entire world of nuance and flavor wrapped up in this wine and it has sufficient structure to last and develop for many years. But if you happen to be in the mood for a very stony white with, say, your chicken Cesar, this is a great choice.
I will buy this again in virtually any vintage at this price.
Wow!

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars