The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for May: Vouvray Plus!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Wine Focus for May: Vouvray Plus!

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:02 pm

Vouvray/Montlouis with exeptions for Chenin from elsewhere ...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: May wine focus topic nominations start here

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:34 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Anybody for Vouvray/Montlouis with exeptions for Chenin from elsewhere?

No objections from me!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:43 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Anybody for Vouvray/Montlouis with exeptions for Chenin from elsewhere?

No objections from me!

That fits in nicely with my plans. Got lots of Chidaine's '08s burning holes in my cellar.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Got lots of Chidaine's '08s burning holes in my cellar.

Tasted any recently? The only one I really bought in any quantity was the 08 Les Bournais. I had a few last year and then another a few weeks ago that seemed to be gaining delightful focus. I planned to drink my last bottle in the next few weeks. Although it would be interesting to see it age for several more years, I just don't have the space.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:Got lots of Chidaine's '08s burning holes in my cellar.

Tasted any recently? The only one I really bought in any quantity was the 08 Les Bournais. I had a few last year and then another a few weeks ago that seemed to be gaining delightful focus. I planned to drink my last bottle in the next few weeks. Although it would be interesting to see it age for several more years, I just don't have the space.

Not too recently: been away from our cellar for the last 4 months and just recently got back. What I've heard recently, though, makes me think that many of those '08s are hitting their stride now.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Not too recently: been away from our cellar for the last 4 months and just recently got back.

Oh yes, you've been in New Zealand. Welcome back, and just in time for your second summer!
no avatar
User

Thomas G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

by Thomas G » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:56 pm

Seems like a good subject
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:07 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:Not too recently: been away from our cellar for the last 4 months and just recently got back.

Oh yes, you've been in New Zealand. Welcome back, and just in time for your second summer!

Thanks! And keep this in mind when your first sabbatical opportunity arises. You've got much better reasons to decamp for parts European than we do/did! I'll bet that Heidelberg has a decent Poli Sci department or something close enough to satisfy scrutinizing administrators. :D

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:33 am

No objections from me :D :D :D
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:56 am

Sounds fun! Sorry to say I am away all month, groan.
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

Re: Wine Focus for May: Vouvray Plus!

by Kelly Young » Tue May 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Savennières too?
no avatar
User

Lyn Archer

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:57 am

Seattle

by Lyn Archer » Tue May 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Darn...leaving for Beaujolais then Spain next week...will catch up in June. Last gasp request for any suggestions while in Bojo...cheers.
Lyn
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 02, 2012 12:53 am

Kelly Young wrote:Savennières too?

I don't see why not.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed May 02, 2012 6:20 am

Lyn Archer wrote:Darn...leaving for Beaujolais then Spain next week...will catch up in June. Last gasp request for any suggestions while in Bojo...cheers.

Check last months Wine Focus.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed May 02, 2012 9:45 am

I'll be in this one, although I need to raid the bat cave to find something to write up.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Thu May 03, 2012 1:28 am

Huet, Vouvray, Pettilant, Brut, 2005

With this revisit, I find it easier to place this in context. I can more easily discern the Chenin Blanc fruit beneth the mousse and I find the acidity and raciness required for the making of bubblies suit the grape. Beyond that, on the nose there's plenty of green apples, citrus fruit, chalk and various other rocks, as well as hints of brioche, making for fairly complex aromatics. The overtly yeasty character I noticed last time is gone, so this is really shining now. The palate has a wonderful cut and the freshness of sour apples, with an herbal, almost minty essence, but to be quite honest, if I compare it to the vintage Champagnes I've been drinking recently, it matches their elegance but not quite their depth. However, it competes quite nicely with non-vintage Champagnes, especially for its price, and the only reason I'm comparing it to vintage stuff is because it says Huet on the label - in its own right, it's an interesting, delicious, refreshing wine! Since Huet makes such age-worthy Vouvrays, I'll have to age my other bottles and see how much depth they gain and then play the Match Game again against the vintage Champagnes.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Fri May 04, 2012 12:08 am

Chaim, I envy you. I drank my 2005 Huet Bruts long ago, and my 2002s, both fine years. I wouldn't compare them to Champagne or anything else, but they stand out as wonderful Vouvray petillants, especially considering the sea of year after year of drab Loire sparklers. I have a hard time finding good sparkling Vouvrays. It's so seldom I run into a drinkable one that a few weeks ago I almost fell in love with a fifteen buck bottle of NV Christophe Thorigny Vouvray Brut. My wife and I drank a second one tonight and, maybe it's bottle variation, but this one came across as just acceptable fizz, with discernible Chenin flavors but nothing to get excited about. Mind you, I'm a Vouvray freak, so I'd like Vouvray sparkers to be great, like the secs, demi-secs, and moelleux, but I'd settle for just good. If anyone has any recommendation for good Vouvray sparklers, or other Loire Chenin sparklers, that are on the market now, please chime in. I'll rush out and buy them.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Fri May 04, 2012 5:57 am

The comparison wasn't stylistic, but as long as we're discussing the Huet Pettilant, does anyone here have any experience aging them?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri May 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Clint Hall wrote:Chaim, I envy you. I drank my 2005 Huet Bruts long ago, and my 2002s, both fine years. I wouldn't compare them to Champagne or anything else, but they stand out as wonderful Vouvray petillants, especially considering the sea of year after year of drab Loire sparklers. I have a hard time finding good sparkling Vouvrays. It's so seldom I run into a drinkable one that a few weeks ago I almost fell in love with a fifteen buck bottle of NV Christophe Thorigny Vouvray Brut. My wife and I drank a second one tonight and, maybe it's bottle variation, but this one came across as just acceptable fizz, with discernible Chenin flavors but nothing to get excited about. Mind you, I'm a Vouvray freak, so I'd like Vouvray sparkers to be great, like the secs, demi-secs, and moelleux, but I'd settle for just good. If anyone has any recommendation for good Vouvray sparklers, or other Loire Chenin sparklers, that are on the market now, please chime in. I'll rush out and buy them.

Clint,
No great surprises here, but -- aside from the obvious choices of Huet and Foreau -- there's also the very lovely sparkling Vouvray of François Pinon, which is a QPR winner, too. I adore his non-dosage version, which is alas much harder to find.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Fri May 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Mark, even with Huet, I find a lot of vintage variation in Vouvray sparklers.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri May 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Clint Hall wrote:Mind you, I'm a Vouvray freak, so I'd like Vouvray sparkers to be great, like the secs, demi-secs, and moelleux, but I'd settle for just good..

You do know that the majority of Vouvray produced is sparkling, not sec, demi-sec or moelleux.

Most of it is well below 'good'.

But in the US, that top tier of Huet, Foreau, Chidaine and Pinon makes a pretty good roster.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Sun May 06, 2012 12:46 am

Rahsaan, no, I wasn't aware that most Vouvray is sparkling wine. Who drinks the stuff? Some of it, I know, is good, but I've had more bad ones than good even though I've aimed most of my purchases at the high end. Even Huet sometimes does clinkers in the sparkling department.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sun May 06, 2012 1:16 am

Bourillon d'Orleans, Vouvray, Moelleux, Tris de Nobles Grains, 'La Coulée d'Or', 2003

I find the nose intriguing. Beneath the spicy/wooly aromas of Chenin approaching maturity, I think I spy a hint of honeyed botrytis, but whatever is going on in there, the aromatics have a piercingly intellectual charm. The palate is sweet, of course, rich and hedonistic without, for me, going over the top, with a strand of botrytis funk that is even more obvious than it was on the nose.

Yet another dessert wine I prefer to Sauternes (even if I did have it with spicy Asian food, and even if, like Sauternes, it's not exactly bulging with acidity), but not enough for a repeat purchase. (May 5, 2012)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun May 06, 2012 7:30 am

Clint Hall wrote:Rahsaan, no, I wasn't aware that most Vouvray is sparkling wine. Who drinks the stuff?

The same people who drink the rest of the crap that is the overwhelming majority of French wine, I'm guessing mostly local French folks and maybe some surrounding Euro shops stocking cheap crap.

I don't know that I've ever had a 'clunker' from Huet Petillant. Do you remember the particular wine? Certainly they show vintage variation and not all bottles show well at all times. But hey, no one is forcing you to like the stuff.
Next