The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Questions for Beaujolais fans...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: Questions for Beaujolais fans...

by Keith M » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Salil wrote:Lapierre's Morgon is perfect though (for my tastes) for a more elegant, light expression that's all about sheer drinkability.

Maybe you drink more Morgon/Beaujolais than I do, but there are lots of other gamay wines that I prefer for light sheer drinkability (Descombes Morgon regular, Brun Terres Dorees, gamay from other regions) and I just never seem to get around to actively wanting Lapierre.

But hey, we all have our own preferences!

If you strike sheer drinkability and replace it with purity in Salil's statement, that'd sum up my impressions on Lapierre's Morgon.

Enjoying the conversation and looking forward to what Hoke has coming out of all this.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:28 pm

Hoke wrote:Cote de Brouilly -- Brun
Chiroubles -- Raousset
Fleurie -- Coudert AND Vissoux
Chenas -- Piron & Lafont
Morgon -- Lapierre.
no avatar
User

Lee Short

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:08 pm

WA USA

by Lee Short » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Salil wrote:Brouilly - Descombes
Cote de Brouilly - Descombes
Chiroubles - Damien Coquelet
Regnie - Christian Ducroux
Fleurie - Coudert, Vissoux (unless you're able to source Metras from France)
Saint-Amour - No idea
Chenas - Pascal Granger
Julienas - Tete
Morgon - Foillard, Lapierre, Burgaud, Jadot
Moulin-a-Vent - JP Brun

With this as a baseline, I would add:

Regnie -- Charly Thevenet
St Amour -- Pascal Berthier
Brouilly -- Thivin
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Popped and poured an '09 DuBoeuf Jean Descombes last night and it would be hard to improve on the quality. Chilled it for about 25 minutes in the fridge. $14 and I wish I had more. i do have about 6 bottles. But this is a tribute to the vintage. And usually one of my favorites. I don't have access to the more exotic labels but you've got to admit that DuBoeuf has put this AOC on the map.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Matthew Latuchie

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:41 am

Chicago, IL

by Matthew Latuchie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:53 am

since Saint Amour isn't getting talked about much, thought I'd weigh in...

in 2009, i bought Domaine des Billards on a whim after reading some crazy reviews by Gilman (i believe). Would recommend them to all the fans of Vissoux and Coudert - its minerality and rockiness is probably a notch below those guys, but still quite impressive.

I'm a sucker for Foillard, though. Obsessed.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:27 am

All this fine Beaujolais talk, maybe Wine Focus here next month?
Robin/David, you out there?!
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:38 am

I'm a Lapierre and Thevenet fan myself.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:22 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:All this fine Beaujolais talk, maybe Wine Focus here next month?
Robin/David, you out there?!

Certainly a possibility, Bob. We'll take it under advisement and open the usual public discussion in its own thread before the end of this month. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:55 am

While it's been crazy warm of late, the weather is supposed to cool down. Might want to wait for May/June time frame for Beaujolais focus.

Enjoying how the topic has progressed. Just got back from China, so will be a little more active.

On the subject at hand, I would echo Salil's recommendation of Pascal Granger for Chenas. The wines are a bit hard to find, but quite delicious.

St. Amour is a tough one. Given the catchy name you would think there would be better market presence, but I rarely see them.

Certainly Morgon is well represented with Lapierre, Thevenet and Foillard, but I am also really enjoying Burgaud's wines these days. Looking forward to getting my 2010s in the next few weeks.

Overall I would name Coudert's Fleurie Tardive as my favorite Beaujolais of all.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:53 am

For me it was the 2003 vintage that got my attention about Beaujolais-Villages and Beaujolais Crus. Prior to this time I associated Beaujolais wines with the “festive and colorful” Beaujolais Nouveau, and the “higher tier” Beaujolais wines as “simple” fruity food friendly, easy-drinking wines (so I never really gave much thought about “exploring” Beaujolais wines). But 2003 changed all that; the Beaujolais-Villages and Cru wines could be “serious”, “butt-kicking” wines (I’m a red meat and potato type of guy). I must admit at a tasting of the 2003 vintage I was confused. This is Gamay? Some of the wines were “Burgundy-like” while others were “Rhone-like”. (Some might deem these wines as another “wanna be” Burgundy or another ‘wanna be” Rhone. It’s a function of both “vintage climate” and “winemaking”). It’s this “versatility” (simple fruity food-friendly easy drinking to serious butt-kicking wines) that IMHO makes Gamay “noble” and worth “exploring”

Salute
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm hardly the most experienced person here with regard to Beaujolais, but these are some that I have been quite pleased with so far:

Morgon - Burgaud, Jadot, Lapierre, Thévenet
Moulin-à-Vent - Jadot, Brun
Chiroubles - Coquelet, Cheysson
Fleurie - Coudert/Cdl Roilette
Julienas - Tete, Granger
Non-Cru: Vissoux VV, Cambon

Haven't had enough from the other crus yet to recommend anyone specifically - same for Beaujolais Blanc/Rosé. Never seen Breton over here, either.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:23 am

Speaking of Morgon, just had my first 2009 Descombes VV last night and man was that a seriously good wine. I only bought 3 bottles and CSW no longer has it in stock, but it's something I could drink much much more of. I had been drinking several bottles of the 2009 Morgon 'regular' over the past month and that was a delicious drinkable wine, but this just ups the seriousness and finesse in such a lovely way. As one would expect.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:34 am

James Roscoe wrote:Will you people keep this info to yourselves so decent Beaujolais doesn't get out of my price range! Keep quiet about the stuff from Provence too!!!!

Sadly...this is becoming an issue. The better Foillard cuvees are approaching $40 now. :evil:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Previous