The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Shine on, Harvest Moon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Shine on, Harvest Moon

by Hoke » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:55 pm

Lou and BL & Jason and Lynn came over and up, respectively, to Sonoma to check out a new place on Sonoma Plaza that everyone was raving about, Harvest Moon.

We had a quick spur-of-the-moment meal there a couple of weeks back (when a bartender at a very good restaurant enthusiastically reccos a different restaurant, one should pay attention), and were delighted with the place, so now it was time to go back.

After apps at our house with a Bugey Cerdon bubbly (the other one), all frothy and bright pink, and a 2002 Clos de Papillon Savennieres, Domaine du Closel, somehow fitting in its orangy-bronze harvest color and deep, pungent flavors, we were off to Harvest Moon.

We were seated the very moment we walked in the door, always a good sign. Our hostess, the co-owner, had her six month old daughter strapped to her tummy, so they both greeted us with bright smiles. The room is all hard surfaces so it was quite noisy, but any place packed with happy people having fun on a chilly Fall evening is welcome.

The nature of the food at Harvest Moon is relatively simple, based on high quality locally sourced ingredients prepared to emphasize the essential flavors...what has become known as "Wine Country Cooking". And they do it well.

With the exception of one person who ordered a beet salad, we couldn't resist the soup, a silky smooth, elegant potage of potato and leek laced with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with bottarga (tuna roe). It was wonderful; the perfect way to start a meal. More leek than potato (I think the potato was there more to give texture and mouthfeel), it was warm and satisfying.

With the soup we ordered a Hippolyte Reverdy Sancerre 2005 off the list. Seemed the thing to do, what with the profusion of leeks. Classic Sancerre, both crisp and herbal, and a delightful accompaniment to the soup.

When it came time for the main course, we opted for a balanced table: all meat on one side, all seafood on the other. Since I was on the seafood side I can only report that the meat-eaters seemed to be quite happy with their rib eyes and lamb shanks. We of the seafood persuasion were most certainly satisfied with our freshly made fettucine studded with shrimp, clams, mussels, and halibut, tomato sauce and red pepper flakes.

Lou pulled out one fresh looking bottle and one stained bottle. The fresh looking one happened to be Louis Jadot Chambertin Clos de Beze 1990, and the ugly looking one turned out to be Ridge Montebello 1984 (the ugly stains being a flawed bottle of 1975 Mayacamas just above it that had cracked; old Mayacamas: great wine, cheap bottles).

The Chambertin was packed full, intensely concentrated heady ripe fruit, loaded with berries, and had a noticeable tannic bite to it. Clearly Pinot, but brooding, powerful Pinot, with few subtleties to it at this point.

The Ridge Montebello 1984 was, for such a generally poorly rated year, surprisingly fresh and lively. The age had not in any way deteriorated the fruit, but it had softened the tannins so beautifully that the wine appeared young and fresh, yet perfectly mellowed out at the same time. There was a green pepper/cedar shavings smell when the wine was first opened, but a few minutes in the glass alleviated that and the purity of black berry fruit, tobacco and chocolate came to the fore.

Ridge Montebello is truly amazing in its consistency of expression and in its ability to handle age. I t deserves all the accolades and acclaims. All of us thanked Lou profusely for allowing us to experience such a wonderful surprise

I think as much as Lou appreciates and enjoys wine (and he does), there is an equal enjoyment for him when he can share such things with other folks.

After a sampling of desserts (Scharfennberger Bittersweet chocolate pot de creme, Pumpkin cheesecake, and what looked like a fruit crisp at the other end of the table), we called it a night. After the good company, excellent food, a Chambertin and a Montebello, anyting else would be anticlimactic.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Shine on, Harvest Moon

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:00 pm

Sounds good, interesting choice opening the 02 CLosel, but it seems like it gushed a bit of pleasure for you.

And glad to hear that the food is good up north, so far from Berkeley Center of the World.

Is it true that Scharfenberger was sold to Hershey's?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:24 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Is it true that Scharfenberger was sold to Hershey's?

If you can believe the SF Chronicle, then yes: Hershey is going gourmet Candy giant buys Berkeley chocolatier Scharffen Berger
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:29 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Sounds good, interesting choice opening the 02 CLosel, but it seems like it gushed a bit of pleasure for you.

And glad to hear that the food is good up north, so far from Berkeley Center of the World.

Is it true that Scharfenberger was sold to Hershey's?

Yes, it's true: Scharffenberger sold to Hershey's. So did Josef Schmidt, I hear. Two icons gone, eh?

As far as I could taste, Hershey's has not sullied the Scharffenberger quality or changed their style though.

Hey, you should be checking out Dagoba chocolate from Oregon, dude. All organic. Great stuff. The owner is monomaniacal about chocolate and purity. And they've got some reaaaaally interesting flavors out there. The have a Xocolatl, for instance, that is dark chocolate studded with hot peppers. Yowza!

The Closel: great weight; almost ponderous. Round and plush in the mouth. Lot of quince, slightly oxidized apple/baked apple (broad brown apple??). Closed and clumsy right now though.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:30 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:... going gourmet ...

"<i>going</i>"? Doesn't Hershey already own Godiva? Or did I just dream that?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

It's an old article and I was too lazy to change its title.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:48 pm

Let me see here:

Montebello 1984
Chambertin Clos de Beze 1990
2002 Savennieres
Hippolyte Reverdy Sancerre
A great (and not expensive) restaurant......

And all you guys want to chew over is Hershey's and old newspaper articles???????

WTF?

I think I'll go over to the Chocolate Lover's Board so we can talk about good wines. :roll:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:43 pm

Hoke wrote:Let me see here:

Montebello 1984
Chambertin Clos de Beze 1990
2002 Savennieres
Hippolyte Reverdy Sancerre
A great (and not expensive) restaurant......

And all you guys want to chew over is Hershey's and old newspaper articles???????

WTF?

I think I'll go over to the Chocolate Lover's Board so we can talk about good wines. :roll:

Actually, I was curious about the pricing there. What do the entrees run?

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:56 pm

Pretty reasonable, Mike.

Six people. First course, main course, four desserts, one espresso, two coffees, two teas, one bottle off the list (I think about $34?), one corkage of $15 (for two bottles).

Total with tip came out to about $56--58 per person.

And we walked away full.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:56 pm

Hoke wrote:Yes, it's true: Scharffenberger sold to Hershey's. So did Josef Schmidt, I hear. Two icons gone, eh?

As far as I could taste, Hershey's has not sullied the Scharffenberger quality or changed their style though.

Hey, you should be checking out Dagoba chocolate from Oregon, dude. All organic. Great stuff. The owner is monomaniacal about chocolate and purity. And they've got some reaaaaally interesting flavors out there. The have a Xocolatl, for instance, that is dark chocolate studded with hot peppers. Yowza!

As you say, there's no evidence so far that acquisition by Hershey's has diminished Scharffenberger's quality. But if being bought by Hershey's is a problem, then you won't want to read this story about Dagoba: http://www.slashfood.com/2006/10/20/hersheys-buys-dagoba/. I caught it in the business section just a couple weeks ago. Can you say "monopoly"?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:01 pm

Mark Willstatter wrote:
Hoke wrote:Yes, it's true: Scharffenberger sold to Hershey's. So did Josef Schmidt, I hear. Two icons gone, eh?

Go ahead, Willstatter: rain on my parade.

That's not good news. Even if Hershey is determined to allow Dagoba to operate much the same, there's no way that the uber-corporate mentality can equal the passion of the founder. For one simple reason: Hershey won't be able to understand it, for their concern will be financial/managerial rather than a maniacal focus on quality and originality.

Truth told, I'm not even all that concerned with the organic aspect (I know, that may sound strange, coming from me). It's the corporate over the passionately focused person aspect that most disturbs me.

I'm surprised that Dagoba sold out. I really am. I figured that wouldn't happen for a few years. But hey, once Ben & Jerry's took the money and ran, I shouldn't be surprised at anything anymore, eh?
As you say, there's no evidence so far that acquisition by Hershey's has diminished Scharffenberger's quality. But if being bought by Hershey's is a problem, then you won't want to read this story about Dagoba: http://www.slashfood.com/2006/10/20/hersheys-buys-dagoba/. I caught it in the business section just a couple weeks ago. Can you say "monopoly"?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:15 pm

I have to add this postscript to my original:

When the table server delivered the Reverdy Sancerre, she opened the bottle quickly and efficiently. So far, so good.

When Lou put the Chambertin and Ridge Montebello on the table, he told her to go ahead and open them both so they could breathe for a while.

She cheerfully pulled out her waiter's corkscrew (the double hinged lever style) and began to open the Chambertin. When the cork was about halfway out, it broke in two.

Lou didn't say anything. He sat there quietly, face expressionless. She murmured her apology, then gently worked away at teasing the remainder of the cork out of the bottle neck. Success! She got it out, and left no cork detritus in the bottle.

Lou relaxed. No harm, no foul. We all relaxed.

Then, when she was opening the Ridge-----yep, broke the cork. Slightly more than halfway through. Lou didn't say a word. He did, however, sit at rigid attention, much like a highly trained hound going on point. BL looked at him. We all looked at him. To his credit, he gave no advice. He spoke not a word, just looked intensely at the bottle as she once again eased and teased the remainder of the cork out.

The process took several minutes. We all sat and looked at Lou. Lou sat and looked at the bottle. Just sat. Very still. Very quiet. And looked.

When she got the last bit of cork out, she asked which she should pour first. In a very quiet and soothing voice, Jason suggested that she just leave the bottles for a few minutes to let them air. She nodded, and moved to another table.

Only when she walked away from the table did Lou relax. Then BL relaxed. Then the rest of us relaxed.

Lou has amazing powers of restraint.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:22 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Campbell's owns Godiva, for the record. That is, unless Campbell's sold it recently. I hardly keep up with these things. I had a cousin who worked for them back in the 90's.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:26 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Campbell's owns Godiva, for the record. That is, unless Campbell's sold it recently. I hardly keep up with these things. I had a cousin who worked for them back in the 90's.

And Lindt owns Ghirardelli. You can't tell the players without a scorecard.