The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Netscape Forum Poll: I'd like to learn more about the wines of ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Netscape Forum Poll: I'd like to learn more about the wines of ...

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:33 am

France, Italy, California, Australia ... so much of the wine we consume comes from these and other familiar places. Wine is made in just about all the world's temperate zones, though, and many of us enjoy exploring less well-known regions too. For this week's Netscape WineLovers Community poll, we've selected a handful of somewhat less familiar regions (plus the usual "other") and invite you to tell us which region you'd most like to explore.

<b>Click to vote!</b>

(Remember, it's not necessary to register or log in to the Netscape Forum to cast a vote.)
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: I'd like to learn more about the wines of ...

by Dave Erickson » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 am

Eastern Europe, specifically Hungary. And I'm not talking about Tokai, either. There are all these mysterious grapes (don't have the necessary diacritical marks, so please excuse): Olaszrizling, Szurkebarat, Keknyelu...Hugh Johnson has written about them, but I've never seen a bottle.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:37 am

Dave, I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment.

Eastern Europe has cultures that have long been wine-oriented, but the pestilence of decades of communism has left those cultures disoriented and only recently have native viniferas been making a comeback - albeith a glacially slow one.

Kadarka (a.k.a. Gamza), Saperavi ... the list goes on. All make excellent table wines when given proper, first-class treatment from vineyard to cellar.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: I'd like to learn more about the wi

by Saina » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:36 pm

I'd like to learn more about every country. But if pressed, I think Italy is top for me now as I haven't tasted enough from there and there is so much variety. Ditto Portugal. Ditto everywhere else too. So back to square one.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: I'd like to learn more about the wi

by DebA » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:36 pm

I know very little compared to the thousands of available wines, their producers and origins that any place will be interesting to me, but I know nothing about wines from S. America. :cool:
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:39 am

Dave Erickson wrote:Eastern Europe, specifically Hungary. And I'm not talking about Tokai, either. There are all these mysterious grapes (don't have the necessary diacritical marks, so please excuse): Olaszrizling, Szurkebarat, Keknyelu...Hugh Johnson has written about them, but I've never seen a bottle.

Even more intriguing to me are the wines of Slovenia and Croatia. I hear more and more about them, but I still feel woefully ignorant of what's happening in those places.

Mark Lipton