The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Answering the cull

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

WTN: Answering the cull

by Doug Surplus » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:50 am

Not really a concerted effort like David's, but a similar outcome due to some bad wine. All consumed in the past week.

With chicken simmered in masala:

Page Springs Cellars 2005 Vino del Barrio Blanco: An interesting blend of Chardonnay, Orange Muscat and Viognier, this wine was disappointing. Aromatic and flavorful, the Orange Muscat was prominent, but the wine was somewhat flabby. A bit more acidity could have lifted it from ok, to good. Made from unspecified California grapes by a Central Arizona winery.

With roast lamb:

Gallo Stefani Vineyard 1997 Cabernet Sauvignon: Sour, weedy and vegetal. It's dead, Jim. Replaced by:

2001 Chimney Rock Cabernet Sauvignon:. A nose of mostly vanilla, with just a hint of currant makes me hesitate. (This is not typical for Chimney Rock). I forge ahead and timidly sip. Not as bad as the aroma suggests, but still more oak than I've tasted before in this winery's Cabs. Smooth, with black plums and cherries, this wine is more integrated with less elegance and individual flavors than I've noted in other vintages .The 99 Chimney Rock was a wonderful expression of wine, constantly evolving in the glass showing currant, cherry, coffee, chocolate, mocha, cedar, etc. This is almost one dimensional by comparison - a good wine, but not a great wine.

With oven-roasted tri-tip (rare):

Amaicha 2005 Bonarda (Mendoza, Argentina) : Pleasant fresh plums and flowers waft from the glass. A bit simple, but not rustic, it tastes of red and black plums with an underpinning of black cherry. Moderate tannins. For $5, I'll probably buy a couple more.

With chimichurri marinated salmon:

2003 Peter Lehman Barossa Chardonnay: Smelled like peaches and honeysuckle, pretty much tasted like it, with a hint of lemon. Decent enough Chard, with no overt oak influence, but it didn't work with the salmon, despite Trader Joe's flyer recommendation. Stick with Pinot Noir, even with though the salmon is marinated (see below).

With lefover salmon:

2000 Lucas & Lewellen Vineyards Santa Barbara County Pinot Noir: I had a bad feeling when the cork slipped out so easily. The bad feeling was justified by the wine: Smelled like shit, tasted like shit. Dead, dead, nasty, dead. Replaced by:

Buena Vista 2001 Carneros Pinot Noir: Much, much better. Barnyard and chicken coop aromas mix with red fruit and floral notes. Tastes more like dirt than fruit, but it's clean dirt with a mix of red and black bramble fruit. Tart with lively tannins. Not the normal CA cherry-coke Pinot Noir, nor is there any tomato skin. Decent Pinot for the price - $18.

With char-grilled Angus tenderloin filets:

2001 Heitz Wine Cellars Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Cedar, bramble fruits and a bit of tobacco on the nose. Moderate tannins allow for blackberries and black cherries to fill the mouth. Lingering black cherry finish. My daughter and I fought over the rest of the bottle. We also wanted more filet - these were from Trader Joe's and were as good as any we've had in any restaurant.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Answering the cull

by Jenise » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:28 pm

What do you think about the long-term cellaring of that Heitz? I just picked up a few bottles. It's a wine I've always liked for a low-key but classy CalCab experience.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:00 pm

Too bad about the Chimney Rock.

I tried the 2001 this summer and it showed quite nicely (I even picked up one. I can only afford one at a time). Different palettes, different timing :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:45 pm

Jenise wrote:What do you think about the long-term cellaring of that Heitz? I just picked up a few bottles. It's a wine I've always liked for a low-key but classy CalCab experience.

Jenise, I don't have any real experience with long-term cellaring but I think the Heitz would last 4-5 more years under proper conditions. The structure of the wine is good, and while the tannins are the worst I've encountered, I did decant it for a hour to soften it up. I'll probably pick up 5-6 more bottles and drink 1 per year.

I'd be intereseted to see what you think after you pop the cork.
Doug

no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:47 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Too bad about the Chimney Rock.

I tried the 2001 this summer and it showed quite nicely (I even picked up one. I can only afford one at a time). Different palettes, different timing :)

Yup, and it could even be bottle variation. I'm pretty sure it was a 2001 I had in April at a restaurant in Minneapolis where all were quite impressed, including myself. But memory is such a fleeting thing.

Still, it wasn't bad and it didn't put me off Chimney Rock, especially since I can get it for $39 at Costco (2003).
Doug

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:37 pm

Speaking of Costco, that's where I got the Heitz. $32--I had a $100 refund to spend before I lost the check (which I famously do), and of their paltry offerings that day this seemed like the best idea.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:11 pm

I've got a bottle of the '94 Heitz Cab lurking in the cellar. Perhaps I should open it.
Decisions are made by those who show up