The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bunch of Bordeaux and a few outliers.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: Bunch of Bordeaux and a few outliers.

by Bob Ross » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:28 am

A group of us did a bit of cellar re-arranging this weekend, and simplified our task by opening a few bottles. In order of preference; the poor performers at the end actually appeared early on and convinced some folks to move out the Bordeaux area.

1990 Hermitage La Chapelle Paul Jaboulet Aine Northern France. 13.9% alcohol.Imported by Frederic Wildman, New York, NY. 4*+. Wine of the rearrangement, complex long and satisfying.

1990 Ch. Latour Pauillac Bordeaux France. 12.5% alcohol. Imported by Wine Cellars Ltd. Briarcliff NY. 4*. Drinking beautifully now, with signs of continued improvement.

1989 Ch. Lynch Bages Pauillac Bordeaux France. 12.5% alcohol. 1/2 half bottle. Imported by William Grant and Sons, NY. 4*. Drank beautifully. Very pretty wine.

1990 Ch. Angelus Saint Emilion Bordeaux France. 13.5% alcohol. Imported by Premier Wine Merchants, NY. 3*. Very pretty wine, drinking very well.

2001 Martinelli Zio Tony Ranch Pinot Noir Russian River Valley California. 15.6% alcohol. 3*. Showed very well with aged steak and baked potatoes -- didn't taste as hot as the label indicated it might.

1990 Leoville Las Cases Saint Julien Bordeaux France. 12.5% alcohol. Imported by Paramount Brands, Port Chester, NY. 3*. Uninspiring. Either a weak bottle, or if representative, an indication that the wine is in its best drinking window, perhaps even leaving it.

1982 Leoville Las Cases Saint Julien Bordeaux France. 12.5% alcohol. Imported by Alias New York, NY. Corked. 1*.

1997 Behrens & Hitchcock Winery Merlot Napa Valley California. 13.5% alcohol. Dead. 1*.

1986 Pichon Laland Pauillac Bordeaux France. 12.5% alcohol. Corked. 1*

1986 Ch. Margaux Margaux Bordeaux France. 12.5% alcohol. Corked. 1*.

Regards, Bob
Last edited by Bob Ross on Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Bunch of Bordeaux and a few outliers.

by Saina » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:24 am

What a dashed shame about those corked 1986s. I'd have loved to hear your views on them as I'd just tasted them recently.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:00 am

Leoville St. Julien? LLC, Barton, Poyferre?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:15 am

Fixed, thanks Dale.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:01 am

Bob, next time you need help in the cellar, you call me, okay? I'd kill to taste that Latour. What a shame about the corked bottles. I'd have been looking up at the heavens asking why it couldn't have been the Martinelli.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:30 pm

Bob, we did a 1990 horizontal at Tribeca Grille last year. Didn't have the LLC, but the Barton, Poyferre, and Lagrange were going strong. I'd be surprised if LLC, normally the longest-lived St Julien and with good rep in 1990, was fading. You'll have to force yourself to try another bottle! :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:07 pm

"...why it couldn't have been the Martinelli."

Over dinner we had a small taste off of the Martinelli and a zin we had read about -- both fit Janet and Robin's taste profiles.

David and I and a couple of buddies who dropped in decided to "rearrange" the cellar -- more tasting than rearranging went on based on the relatively few changes in my inventory records. :-)

The corked percentage bumped up a bit Saturday, but I feel fortunate that it seems to be hold below 10% this year. All the tasters were quite experienced and we had complete agreement on the TCA.

Stop by any time, Jenise -- there is plenty of re-arranging to do.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:10 pm

"You'll have to force yourself to try another bottle!"

Will do, Dale. We have more of the 1982 than the 1990, so I may have to settle for the 1982. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:19 pm

there is plenty of re-arranging to do.

Well, you know us women. We can't help ourselves. And where wine's concerned, I can be counted on to find something that didn't 'fit' and would require opening.

And of course, you're welcome to drop by and re-arrange mine, too!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:24 pm

Sounds good, Jenise -- both ways. :)