The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

February Wine Focus: Unclassified Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: February Wine Focus: Unclassified Bordeaux

by Ryan M » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:28 pm

I got this from Last Bottle, one of the wine clearance sites. Full retail is something like $25, but I got half a case for $9 per bottle. Small production for Bordeaux, only 2000 cases, and apparently rarely seen outside France or Britain. Even at full price, it would have been well worth it. With T-bones from my in-laws' beef farm on day one, with a gyro pizza on day two:

Chateau Duplessy, Premieres Cotes de Bordeaux 2006
Medium-dark ruby. Nice, perfumey nose of dark fruits, roses, and gravel. Dark cherry and blackberry upfront on the palate, followed by fragrant, juicy red currant, roses, gravel, and on the finish, hints of cedar/tobacco/pepper. Could almost pass for a Graves. Medium-full in body, slightly juicy, with good density. This is easily of Cru Bourgeois quality. The dark berry fruits and fragrance clearly identify it as an 2006 - and I just love 2006. Should continue to drink nice for another 3 to 5 years. 45% Merlot, 35% Cab Sauv, 20% Cab Franc. Very reasonably priced at $25. *** [2/25/12]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: February Wine Focus: Unclassified Bordeaux

by Salil » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:58 am

A last bit of cheating for the month. Thought about another Pomerol, but couldn't resist reaching for this (from a recent Acker buy).

1979 Domaine de Chevalier (Graves)
Another great bottle. There's some plum and red fruit in the background, but this is really all about its developed cigar smoke, earthy and leathery flavours on a silken textured, medium weight frame. Drinking beautifully with bright acids and tannins integrated; a lovely, understated claret.
Previous