The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Saturday Adventures

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Chiodo

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:30 am

Saturday Adventures

by Mike Chiodo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:07 pm

Saturday was my first adventure into a "real" wine store. The "Wine Experience" in Des Moines specializes in wine, so I wasn't too sure what to expect. I have to say I was not disappointed.

My wife and I were greeted by an employee who was happy to spend nearly an hour with us. He opened several bottles of wine for me to try, and since it's clear that Riesling remains at the top of my list went into detail about the different Rieslings available. I tried several different bottles of Riesling, from Auslese to Spatlese to others I won't try to pronounce.

He also gave me a quick education in Riesling wine-where it comes from, how it's grown, and what makes the difference in "sweetness". He pulled out a map of the river along which German Rieslings are grown and showed me the differences in the Rieslings at various points along the river.

So, to make a long story short, I walked out with 16 bottles of wine-several different Rieslings, a 2006 Rose, a couple other random flavors to try, and a few bottles from local wineries.

He did state that most of the local Iowa wines would lean toward sweet-I found that interesting. I understood that it has something to do with the type of grapes (but don't remember the details).

They have wine classes that I thought might be interesting. My wife looked at me and mumbled something about "Christmas Present".

I also discovered through them that there is a winery just a stones throw from where I live. That will be on my list to visit soon as well (grin).

So, now I guess I have to start looking for a wine rack. After all, I can't have all that wine just sitting in an old cardboard box, can I? :wink:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Saturday Adventures

by James Roscoe » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:27 pm

Mike,
Welcome to this forum. What a great store you went into. You should make sure to give them props wherever you go. Stores like that don't grow on trees unfortunately.
You are also headed down the slippery slope of wine geekdom my friend. First it's a couple of cases of German Rieslings. You then wonder what all the fuss is about those California cabernets. Then someone introduces you to Bordeaux or Burgundy or Pemonte and your bank account id drained. You fill the cellar. You eye crystal wine glasses. It never ends, but it is fun. Stick around. This is where all the best wine deadbeats, uh, connoiseurs hang out on the web.
Cheers!
James Roscoe

P.S. David Breuker (sic. sorry David) is one of our real riesling gurus. He will tell you much more about your favorite grape. Their are a couple of others who are wise in the ways of riesling too.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

by DebA » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:28 pm

"So, now I guess I have to start looking for a wine rack. After all, I can't have all that wine just sitting in an old cardboard box, can I?"

Hehe...can you say, "bitten by the wine bug?" It was fun to read about your wine experience, Mike, but I sense an evolution on the horizon! Enjoy the journey! :cool:
no avatar
User

Mike Chiodo

Rank

Cellar rat

by Mike Chiodo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:30 pm

Deborah Ackerman wrote:
"So, now I guess I have to start looking for a wine rack. After all, I can't have all that wine just sitting in an old cardboard box, can I?"

Hehe...can you say, "bitten by the wine bug?" It was fun to read about your wine experience, Mike, but I sense an evolution on the horizon! Enjoy the journey! :cool:

I do have to be careful, or the better half will turn it into a "revolution" rather than an "evolution"! :)
no avatar
User

Mike Chiodo

Rank

Cellar rat

by Mike Chiodo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:36 pm

James Roscoe wrote: You are also headed down the slippery slope of wine geekdom my friend. First it's a couple of cases of German Rieslings. You then wonder what all the fuss is about those California cabernets. Then someone introduces you to Bordeaux or Burgundy or Pemonte and your bank account id drained.

Funny you should mention that. The gentleman at the wine store was telling us of his personal collection. He said that he realized one day that he had "several thousand dollars" sitting in his wine rack.

It took several minutes for us to revive my wife.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:53 pm

Abandon all hope... you are doomed. But it will be a heck of a lot of fun. I am very glad you found a great wine store. Happy tasting. Let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes,
Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:13 pm

Others are talking about you being bitten by a bug and going down that slippery slope. Well, there's another bug and slippery slope you must watch out for, especially after you visit that local winery and ask yourself "I wonder if I can make wines as good as the ones I buy?" That happened to me 30 years ago, and now I make about 80 gallons a year, all from grapes grown in my area, including Riesling. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:26 pm

A great narrative Mike. We here are of course biased but wine is indeed an enjoyable hobby. And cheaper than some and healthier than some. Your story points out the tremendous value that a good local merchant can provide. I am sure most of us can recall a local wine merchant who taught us about and gave us the opportunity to taste a kind of wine we'd never previously known or appreciated. Something the internet can never replace IMHO.
Charles
Charles Weiss