The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Babbo: Brunello, Barbaresco and Prosecco.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: Babbo: Brunello, Barbaresco and Prosecco.

by Bob Ross » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:07 am

Last night was a night of nostalgia. We saw "A Chorus Line" for the thrid time together, and the fifth time for Bob. Dated, a few weak spots in the cast, a really dead audience, worth going to be sure we didn't miss something wonderful, but not a play we could recommend to others. Perhaps you can't go home again.

Well, perhaps you can. We've eated at Babbo a dozen times, sometimes with good friends -- the Davids, Mary and Robin, Richard and Holly -- but mostly just the two of us. We've only been disappointed once -- when Richard insisted on eating at 5:30 -- "Long before any New York restaurant cranks up and really starts to cook", according to Janet.

Our meal was delicious, the wine was a perfect match, and we met a lovely young couple from Los Angeles.

Marinated Fresh Sardines with Caramelized Fennel and Lobster Oil
Roasted Squash with olive oil and mixed greens

Black Pepper Pappardelle with Wild Boar Ragu (shared)

Brunello di Montalcino Mastrogiarno [?[ Tuscany Italy 1999. Vino al quartino (250 ml) $30.00. I can't read the waiter's handwriting and I'm sure I've got the name wrong. But the Brunello was a perfect match with the boar, and the dish itself was absolutely perfect. Wonderful wine. 5*.

Wild Striped Bass with “Passato di Zucca” and Chorizo Vinaigrette (shared)

La Ca Nova Barbaresco Piedmont Italy 2000. Vino al quartino (250 ml). $25.00. This was a lovely red color, a bit shy in the aroma, but a lovely complex taste and finish with enough acidity and tannin to set off the bass beautifully. Excellent match. 4*.

Pistachio and Chocolate Semifreddo (Janet)

Cheese Plate (Bob)
Pecorino Toscacci
Piave Vecchia
Aged Parmigiano Reggiano

Prosecco di Valdobbiadene NV Drusian Veneto Italy. $9.00 a glass. Our waiter was a fan of Francesco Drusian; "you can't go wrong with Drusian. He told me Drusian makes his Prosecco entirely of Prosecco, reducing the yields in the vineyards to produce more flavorful grapes. His wines tend to be a shade drier than others in the region. I've come to love Prosecco with cheeses, and it worked beautifully with this lineup tonight -- the peach notes and a lovely floral aroma set off each of the three cheese. Excellent match. 4*.

We were disappointed in the play, delighted with our meal, and very happy as we drove home on a beautiful autumn evening.

Regards, Bob

Notes:

Babbo's recipe of the month sounds really good:

Serves 4

½ pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
4 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed and sliced into 1/8 inch disks
2 parsnips, scrubbed and sliced into ¼ inch disks
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 leek, white part only, cut into 3 inch julienne
½ celery root, peeled and cut into julienne
½ cup sliced Kohlrabi
¼ pound mizuna, watercress or frisée
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons pumpkinseed oil

Preheat the oven to 475 F
Place the butternut cubes and chopped sage on a cookie sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and roast until light golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside in a large salad bowl to cool.
Place the Jerusalem artichokes on the same cookie sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Roast in the oven for 6 to 7 minutes. Remove and ser aside with the squash.
Place the parsnips and the mushrooms on the cookie sheet and toss with the cumin and more tablespoon of the olive oil. Roast for 6 to 7 minutes, then set aside with the other vegetables.
Bring 6 cups of water to a boil and set up an ice bath near the stove. Plunge the leeks into the boiling water and cook until tender 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the leeks from the boiling water and submerge them in the ice bath until cool. Remove the leeks from the ice bath, pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
Add the leeks, celery root and mizuna to the salad bowl. Add the remaining olive oil, the sherry vinegar, salt and pepper and toss gently to coat well.
Divide the mixture evenly among four chilled dinner plates, mounding it like a haystack. Gently place the fricco
For the Frico

Place 3 tablespoons grated Montasio cheese in a mound on a silpat. Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and begins to brown. Carefully remove the cheese with a spatula and shape as desired.

Babbo's Ingredient of the Month. I took home enough of the Ingredient of the Month to explore its characteristics:

MONTASIO DOP, by Gina DePalma

Friuli-Venezia Giulia is the region of Italy that lies between two worlds. It is an unassuming region of thundering importance, offering an abundance of gastronomic treasures and stunning natural beauty, where all that is Italian collides with Central and Eastern Europe. Latin and Roman traditions meet and mingle with Austrian and Slovenian custom and culture, and from this heady mix comes some of Italy’s finest and most precious products: incredible wines, the sweetest Proscuitto, and the noble, elder statesman of cheeses, Montasio.

The only DOP cheese of Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Montasio was born in Carnia, the northern portion of the province of Udine where the Alps tumble onto the shores of the Adriatic Sea. The cheese originated about 300 years ago in and around the Carnian village of Tolmezzo, supposedly the invention of a lonely Alpine monk with a herd of cows to milk and some free time on his hands. Today the official production zone also extends to portions of the Veneto, but Friulians justly claim Montasio as their own.

Montasio producers will tell you that its unique characteristics are the result of three basic ingredients: the sweet grasses and hay of the land, the crisp air of the mountains, and the milk that results from this happy combination. The consortium that governs the production of Montasio monitors the cheese making process with a watchful eye; only milk from dairy farms within the DOP production area may be used. The cheeses are shaped into large, flat wheels, each bearing the official consortium stamp and numbered to identify the producer and the date of production. Montasio is classified and sold according to its age. At 2 months the interior is ivory-white, soft, dotted with holes and considered “fresco,” or fresh, with a tangy, grassy flavor. After 5 months it transitions to “mezzano” or semi-aged; the color turns slightly golden, the texture becomes firmer, and the flavor begins to deepen. After 10 months or more, Montasio becomes “stagionato,” or aged, with a deeper, nuttier flavor, straw-like color and firm texture.

Montasio is a wonderful table cheese, perfect for enjoying with one of Friuli-Venezia Giulia’s excellent white wines, a savory mostarda, or one of the luscious stone fruits that are grown in Friuli, such as peaches, plums, and cherries. Try grating some Montasio over hot pasta or potato gnocchi in a simple butter sauce with a sprinkling of poppy seeds, or melting it over roasted wild mushrooms. Montasio is the also the cheese that is used to make frico, a beloved dish that is relatively unknown outside of Friuli-Venezia Giulia, but somewhat of an icon of Friulian cuisine. A frico is basically a thin “cake” of grated Montasio, cooked in hot pan with a bit of olive oil. An aged Montasio will result in a crispy fricco, while a younger cheese will make a fricco that is soft and melting in the center.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: WTN: Babbo: Brunello, Barbaresco and Prosecco.

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:56 pm

A fine meal with good wine can cure many a disappointing day. Sorry to hear about the show being a letdown, but you may have saved me the expense of buying tickets, which I was considering. Dinner at Babbo is always a treat, and I've only been there half a dozen times.
Diane
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:49 pm

Dianne, if you haven't seen it, it is an excellent play -- something like watching one of those MGM musicals from the 1930's. But the sexual stuff that was so fantastic years ago seems so ordinary today ... all of the shock value is gone, and that was what contributed the dramatic tension to the show.

If you want to see it, book soon -- we both would be very surprised if it survives very long.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:38 pm

What a delicious time at Babbo, Bob! I was there just once about 2 years ago when I had my first Lagrein and a very delicious Allegrini Palazzo della Torre, as well as Bastianich's Vespa Bianco. I am due a great evening in New York - maybe I'll do that later in November.

Sorry to hear about your Chorus Line experience. Maybe next time you should see something like "The Puppetry of the Penis" for something more edgy!!!! ;-)
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:44 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Dianne, if you haven't seen it, it is an excellent play -- something like watching one of those MGM musicals from the 1930's. But the sexual stuff that was so fantastic years ago seems so ordinary today ... all of the shock value is gone, and that was what contributed the dramatic tension to the show.

If you want to see it, book soon -- we both would be very surprised if it survives very long.

Regards, Bob

Bob - I saw the original and thought it was great. I'll still consider this one, but my initial excitement over the recreation of the show has subsided.
Diane
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:58 pm

" I saw the original and thought it was great. I'll still consider this one, but my initial excitement over the recreation of the show has subsided."

We decided to go just to be sure we weren't missing something wonderful. We were happy we went ... but just can't recco it to anyone else. Your mileage may vary -- it touched me personally many times, but was dead this last time.

Please post your reactions if you decide to go.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:06 am

Paulo, if you need a dining companion or two, give me an email at robcurtross@hotmail.com.

I actually enjoyed "The Puppetry of the Penis" and "The Vagina Monologues", once and twice, respectively. "Kiki and Herb" in three different versions.

I've enjoyed "Tosca" at least a hundred times -- sexy, edgy, always new and incredibly real.

I'll bet I would enjoy Tosca with an unknown soprano tomorrow night. That's my standard for "edgy". :)

Tough standard, I agree. But given a choice -- "Tosca".

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:08 am

Bob,

Thanks for that Friuli-Venezia-Giulia post, but I wish people would not talk about it. Has been and continues to be my favorite location in Italy, and it isn't overrun with tourists--YET.

It also offers one of the most intriguing cities in the world: Trieste.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:25 pm

I'd love to visit there, Thomas. The aged Montasio was delicious, and I'm tracking down a couple of the bottles of wine they suggested to try for the whole experience.

Babbo does a nice job with their monthly essays on recipe, ingredient and dessert of the month. Worth stopping by the archives and browsing from time to time.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:48 pm

Brunello and boar..mmmmmmmmmmm (how does one transpose Homer Simpson?)

I only ever se La Ca Nova on restaurant lists, but usually a good value for Nebbiolo.

As to unknown sopranos, I try not to plug NYCO stuff too much. But I saw Cosi Fan Tutti Tuesday, and a young singer named Julianna something, who replaced Pamela Armstrong who was orignally scheduled, was really fantastic. Good production (I must say the principal cello line is excellent, too :) )

Thanks for notes
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:07 pm

Dale,

My wife has a three-month project in the city and so she needed a sublet. I have a friend who has an apartment in Lincoln Towers and so I got the sublet. Now, we are going broke because my wife spends too much money on the opera--walking distance to opera at the Met is a dream she never thought would ever come true...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:30 pm

Thomas wrote:Bob,

Thanks for that Friuli-Venezia-Giulia post, but I wish people would not talk about it. Has been and continues to be my favorite location in Italy, and it isn't overrun with tourists--YET.

Agree, agree, agree, Thomas.

I love Friuli. The scenery, the food, the wine, the people. You guys mentioned the cheese already, but neglected the famous prosciutto. Friuli got that magical combination of being poised between the mountains and sea, enjoying the best of each.

Plus it is a wonderful menage of cultural influences too: Roman, Byzantine, Gothic, Hunnish even, Slovenian, Austro-Hungarian... wow.

It is one of places I would live, if I could.

And Trieste, yes, I agree with that too. It's got good (great) coffee, and again that wonderful blend of Slavic and Italian food. Plus, it's got the distinction of having absolutely the ugliest piazza fountain in all of Italy!!!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:06 pm

Hoke wrote:
Thomas wrote:Bob,

Agree, agree, agree, Thomas.

I love Friuli. The scenery, the food, the wine, the people. You guys mentioned the cheese already, but neglected the famous prosciutto. Friuli got that magical combination of being poised between the mountains and sea, enjoying the best of each.

Plus it is a wonderful menage of cultural influences too: Roman, Byzantine, Gothic, Hunnish even, Slovenian, Austro-Hungarian... wow.

It is one of places I would live, if I could.

And Trieste, yes, I agree with that too. It's got good (great) coffee, and again that wonderful blend of Slavic and Italian food. Plus, it's got the distinction of having absolutely the ugliest piazza fountain in all of Italy!!!

Hoke,

The last time I visited the region was during the month of April. In Collio, the vines had reached nearly two-inch shoots in a medium to damp spring, while in the mountains to the north there was a lot of snow and closer to the Adriatic, in Aquilea, it was desert-like hot. Three climates in a one-day drive.

I love their version of pasta e fagiole, the pasta being barley grain and the stock being from veal--a meal in itself.

The coffee--I have it delivered once a month. I remember reading a story a while back when Starbucks was making plans to go to Italy. In the story the owner of Illy Coffee out of Trieste was asked if he was worried about Starbucks making inroads against his brand. He replied that, "In Italy we drink coffee. I don't worry about Starbucks."

As for wine, those three climates produce an array of spectacular offerings from Lagrein to Merlot to Ribolla Gialla to Pinot Bianco to Refosco to Schioppetino to Riesling to Gewurztraminer and all points in between. (Although some of the above are produced in Trentino, but not so far away.)

Hoke, like you, if I could I would move there in an instant. Maybe we should pool our resources and start a vineyard/winery in FVG.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:12 pm

Hoke, like you, if I could I would move there in an instant. Maybe we should pool our resources and start a vineyard/winery in FVG.

I'll join!

You guys mentioned the cheese already, but neglected the famous prosciutto.

I really miss the San Daniele ham. I can only get the stuff from Parma here.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:46 pm

Eric,

One day I was shopping around seeking San Daniele Prosciutto, which is difficult to locate here in upstate New York and what do I find? Oh my! So I get it sliced and I am anticipating when I look behind the deli counter to find a promotion picture of the the ham package. In small print I see something, something, Canada.

I ask the deli guy what gives. He says that the ham is from a place in Canada named San Daniele. Right, I say. Almost told him to stuff it.
Thomas P