The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Clarendelle 2003 and de Malle 1982

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Clarendelle 2003 and de Malle 1982

by Saina » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:47 pm

I saw a good friend of mine today for dinner. For the first time in my life I saw kangoroo in the store so I had to try it! Well, the filet of kangoroo wasn't bad with a herbal potato concoction (I have no idea what it actually was, as my friend made the food, but it was damned tasty).

The first wine we opened was Clarendelle 2003 from Haut-Brion - some sort of "premium wine" apparently (c. 20 euros, 13% abv). It was very nice proper Claret from a hot year. If there is anything I hate it is overripeness. This was on the border, but didn't cross it. I liked it.

The nose was leafy and full of cassis as Bx should be, red berry scented but also with much darker fruit from the merlot and a lovely floral quality which I suppose is something positive that the warm year brought to the wine. The palate is light but juicy and fruity, with soft tannins, decent acidity and is very savoury and food friendly (a great match for rare kangoroo, lol!!). But the most notable part of the wine was its immense aftertaste: dry, but pleasingly juicy, mineral, savoury, herbal, leafy and incredibly long and balanced. The aftertaste belongs to a wine of the first class: the Haut-Brion mark coming through?

Very impressive. Served totally blind, I did guess it as warm year Bordeaux but went to 2000 as it did seem rather evolved.

Then we drank a lovely little Sauternes for dessert, the Chateau de Malle 1982 with no abv on the lable, c. 40 euros.

Lightish yellow - not very evolved. The nose is elegant and fresh, but it doesn't have very much botrytis. There is pineapple, a bit of oak, and cigar box minus the cigars (if you can imagine that scent!). The palate is also elegant - and I'm not using this word euphemistically - with fine and fresh acidity, moderate in its sweetness: quite the perfect balance. The aftertaste turns slightly bitter which some will see as a fault but which I see as bringing an extra touch of freshness. Very nice. Very much better than the reputation of the vintage would allow.

A very nice evening indeed :)

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: TNs: Clarendelle 2003 and de Malle 1982

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:08 pm

cigar box minus the cigars (if you can imagine that scent
My grandfather (and his father) were cigarmakers. He would give me used cigar boxes as a kid and I can still sense a faint smell on all the baseball cards I used to store in those boxes. I get it.