The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Raccah

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:18 am

Bay Area, CA

Re: November: Cab Franc for Wine Focus!

by David Raccah » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:56 am

I know kosher wines are not so available but I will be enjoying up to 5 or 6 of them this weekend, God willing - these are on the docket, not sure which ones to enjoy...

1) 2007 Gush Etzion Cabernet Franc
2) 2006 Recanati Cabernet Franc Reserve
3) 2006 Four Gates Cabernet Franc
4) 2006 Tanya Bracha Mount Reserve
5) 2006 Ella Valley Cabernet Franc
6) 2007 Ella Valley Vineyards Cabernet Franc
7) 2007 Hagafen Cabernet Franc Estate Bottled Napa Valley
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:27 am

Bravo David, look forward to your thoughts.
no avatar
User

David Raccah

Rank

Just got here

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:36 am

Man - took me way too long to get this puupy written up. The dinner was a total blast, we went through seven Francs.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2011/12/16 ... anc-wines/

The clear winner was the 2007 Ella Valley Cabernet Franc which edged out the 2006 Four Gates Franc by a nose.

There was very few true franc flavors, more ripe black and red fruit than green notes. LOTS of tobacco and chocolate. Chocolate, I guess is oak driven,. but is the tobacco, a mixture of the oak and grape?

Finally, loved the mixture of cedar versus oak. The three California wines had a mix of Cedar versus Oak, as did the four Israeli wines.

Cool and fun "horizontal" :D
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:00 pm

David, I would agree with your conclusions, that the chocolate came from oak but that the tobacco is more about the grape. CF usually brings something herbal and savory and green to the table, and tobacco is certainly all that. Nice line-up. Where do you buy your Kosher wines, anyway--are there good sources in the Bay area? Sure isn't much up here. And of course, I'm not Jewish, but I love trying wines from all over and after Daniel Rogov and company joined this forum, I made an effort to locate Israeli wines up here. Not much luck.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:06 pm

That is a pretty decent write-up, lots of debate I guess. All this chocolate is disturbing imo, not a big fan here. It would have been of interest to include a ringer from say Baudry?
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:14 pm

David,

You thought the Hagefen was going downhill and still gave it a B+, and the winner of the tasting got an A-? What was the Hagefen at its peak, an A?

See why scoring is silly?
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

David Raccah

Rank

Just got here

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Sory missed much of this debate as I was heads down at work - so one by one:

1) Agree that Tobacco can indeed be a green note, but I was hoping for more of what I had in the past from Four Gates CF. The 2007 CF from Four Gates, which is NOT yet released, shows far more varietal characteristics.

2) Options here are slim, I buy all kosher wine online, or from the wineries themselves, which there are four in California. There are TONS of online stores where you can buy almost any Israeli wine out there, as more and more are being imported now a days.

3) I agree on the chocolate being annoying, I will say that it was never in your face, but it was there - without question.

4) AHH! Chaim, why did you not hook up with me when you were in the area in August? Anyway, the hagafen is going down from where it was, which was a solid A-. I will not deny that the mouth on this wine was enjoyable, but the nose is shot. Many out there in the drinking public could care less, but I have an issue with a wine that has a very good mouth and no nose at all! Wine is to be enjoyed with ALL your senses, or at least the main three in subject here.

As of the subject of scoring - I will not drag this thread down with that discussion. There are those in the scoring camp and those not in it - I will leave it there.

David
no avatar
User

Darby Higgs

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:39 pm

Melbourne, Australia

by Darby Higgs » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Just caught up with this thread. Cabernet franc is fairly widely grown in Australia, but it is unfortunately too much in the shadow of Cabernet Sauvignon. There has been a bit of a trend towards making varietal Cab franc wines over recent years and I have about 60 wineries listed on my database as making varietal Cabernet franc. In Australia that means it must be at least 85% of that variety. Many more wineries use some Cab franc in "Bordeaux-style" blends. The fruit flavour profile of Cab franc is more suited to lighter bodied wines, and as the trend away from big reds continues we may see even more interest in the variety - I certainly hope so.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:23 am

Darby, welcome. I am happy to say we have Paracombe CF up here in Alberta!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:28 am

Darby Higgs wrote:Just caught up with this thread. Cabernet franc is fairly widely grown in Australia, but it is unfortunately too much in the shadow of Cabernet Sauvignon. There has been a bit of a trend towards making varietal Cab franc wines over recent years and I have about 60 wineries listed on my database as making varietal Cabernet franc. In Australia that means it must be at least 85% of that variety. Many more wineries use some Cab franc in "Bordeaux-style" blends. The fruit flavour profile of Cab franc is more suited to lighter bodied wines, and as the trend away from big reds continues we may see even more interest in the variety - I certainly hope so.

Hi Darby,

In what part of Australia is Cabernet franc being grown? IMO it is more suited to cooler climates and can become over-scented and flabby in warmer areas, witness certain examples I have had from California and Languedoc. Tasmania might be a good place if the soils are right.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 am

Tim York wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:WTN: `09 Bourgueil Domaine Lefief.

Little known producer, part of the Loirevinsdomaines group (a small circle of producers). $18 Cdn, good natural cork, opened and decanted one hour.
Lightish colour, purple hints, not a lot of depth. Good aromatic herbal nose, more tannins as it warms and opens. Very berryish but pretty average CF.
Day 2 was more approachable as finish softened up but not the greatist buy imo.

Bob, I wonder what is deterring your suppliers from going to the really good Bougueil producers like Amirault, la Butte (Blot), Breton, Druet, Chevalerie (Caslot) or Mabileau. Of course, I applaud enterprising discoverers of exciting new estates but this one doesn't seem to qualify as one of those.

Tim, and others, happy to say that I found some Mabileau in Calgary. Chenin Blanc as well as Bourgueil. Happy days indeed.
Previous