The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WT101: Budget Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Simon J

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:40 am

Quebec City

Re: WT101: Budget Bordeaux

by Simon J » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:30 pm

I am quite peeved! Here in Quebec the wine sells for $27.50 US.
When I was last in England I noticed that many Bdxs were priced quite high in comparison with N.A. The advantage is that it only a short trip across the channel and you can pick up some real bargains in the 'super surface' in France.

Cheers,

Simon
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:26 pm

Simon, which wine are you referring to?!!
no avatar
User

Simon J

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:40 am

Quebec City

by Simon J » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:47 pm

Hi Bob,

I was referring to Chateau Larose-Trintaudon 2000 Haut-Médoc Cru Bourgeois, the wine Robin introduced us to at the beginning of the thread.
All the Bdxs have shot up in price here over the past few years. With the scandel at the SAQ and price fixing, the French wines did lower by about 10% but it still seems a lot higher than that paid by our southern neighbours.
Personally I really enjoyed the Fronsac wines and found that I got more 'bang' for my buck in comparison with St. Emilion. At least it used to be that way, but recently the prices have seemed to have evened out. :cry:

Have you tried 'Sirius' produced by Peter A. Sichel? For a cheap Bdx it is worth trying.

Cheers,
Simon
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:54 pm

Have been pretty busy of late , making final arrangements for the annual Snow Goose Festival here in central Alberta, as well as trying to enjoy some claret for this months 101. I have to say I am a bit surprised at the low level of interest and participation, but there are two completing forums here, so guess we have to live with it.

TN: `01 Ch. Roquetaillade La Grange--Graves.

Consumed over a 2 day period, opened and decanted for hour and half. 12.5%alc and the content is 58% CS, 37% Merlot and 13% CF. Usually a reliable winery and certainly budget, this was $22.00 Cdn. I feel sure this wine has a bit of a future, maybe someone can add some imput?

Colour. Nice garnet coloured red, has some big clinging legs.

Nose. Was quite restrained at first and thought could be closed. Some toasty oak and ripe berries. Not much developement over the 24.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel is tannin and blackberries, but does have some supple texture with time in the glass. Good acidity, has some lead pencil on the finish. Love the typical earthyness, the gout de terroir , and found some cherry in the mid-palate. White pepper still present the next day, also sandalwood (?). Its all a tad young right now to me, worth putting a couple way for the price.
Previous